How Cold in Your Neck of the Woods

Got into double digits yesterday. Heat wave outdoors.

So I put down the WC paint brush, and went down to my cellar carving shop. With the Pelonis heater going, got the shop to 50+ degrees.

This is the "view" out the west facing shop widow...
View attachment P1170007.JPG

Amazing Carl, you're getting our normals... Last week we had negatives at night and single digits for highs, today was 36 and we're predicted for low to mid 40s for the next 4 days. One thing about Minnesota, if you don't like the weather, wait a day. Other than a couple of 1" dustings we had our first descent (6") snow fall last Sunday. pretty enjoyable winter here so far.

George

We've had a really unseasonably warm week or two here in northern Utah-mid 40's during the day and in the 20's at night. Normal highs for this time of year are in the 20s-low 30's. Has made the last few weeks of the season weird, spots that are usually iced up are open and lots of fields have no snow in them. We should get back closer to normal this weekend, 3-6" of snow predicted int the valleys and up to 20" in the mountains.

central Iowa has been like the rest of the upper Midwest. darn cold; with lots of actual temps in the minus range but what has been brutal the last couple of weeks are the minus temps with winds that have been howling. we had a couple of days with minus 5 to 8 and 20 to 30 to even 40 MPH winds. that gave us wind chill factors of negative 30 and 40. normally we are chasing geese pretty hard the first half of January but this year we were so cold that most of the roosts lost a majority of their geese. one roost that I follow geese off of; went from 8K to less than 1000. that made for some tough hunting and then the sub zero temps made it so it wasn't fun to go hunting. being in a layout blind with minus 20 wind chills is not very appealing. but we did buy some of the Tanglefree panel blinds and using them with heaters made hunting bearable. those blinds are the cat's meow in the right situation. We were hunting one field with terraces in it and we put the blinds on one of the contour terraces and it disappeared. I haven't used one yet on the river but hunting a river spot with a cut bank; one of these would be perfect.

Back