How I spent my summer vacation....

Geoff Pike

Trying to post a couple of the Bolger designed Glouster Light Dory I put together this summer.
I built it on speculation mostly because the shear line in the plans just kept haunting me. I've
got a thing for dories anyway, and just couldn't get it out of my head.
It's not a duck boat per se, but if it still hanging out when the seaducks get here, I just might
paint it black and give it a try!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tealeavesxpotatos/sets/72157621980542479

View attachment IMG_1213-1.JPG
View attachment IMG_1214-1.JPG
View attachment IMG_1215-1.JPG
View attachment IMG_1216-1.JPG
View attachment IMG_1220-1.JPG

Geoff I can just imagen that boat going through the waterways of venis and me singing, give me one cornetto.
nice boat
take care
Eddie

Somewhere there are pics on the camera of construction. I will sort them out and post up.

Eddie, thanks.

I've been considering building one, but I wonder if there's enough freeboard with a fat man and all my gear with one. I've got the dory book, and I've also considered the coastguard dory with the 12' bottom instead. Does anyone have any comments on my issues? I guess I could build one, try it out, and sell it if it's not what I'm after.

The neat thing about dories is the more you load them the more stable they get.
Honestly though I dont know how far out I would want to get with this one loaded up.
It's made more for one or two people rowing, not load hauling. If it were me I would look
more toward a Grand Bankes or Texas Dory for a working dory.

Try a search for texas dories, or instantboat.com has a link to the page.

Matt,
you need to come out to the Mystic Seport for a vacation.
They have dories for you to row in the waterfront project.
They are not the same as the power dories when designed for oars. But can be as big as you want if you need to haul a load...IE the river driver Bateau in John Gardners Book.
The Chaimberlain gunning dory is a sweet hull but a Bank dory is a work horse.
One looks good and rows v nice, the other is like a 1 ton pickup. It will work all day.
Read Farley Mowats book Grey Seas Under to get a feel for what a bank dory can take.

Goeff,
That Glouster gull is sweet. I remember when I first read the build article that Payson did. I have always loved that boats lines.

Last edited:
Thanks Bob, I'll tell my wife I have to go out to Mystic. I'm leaning toward the banks type, how bad do they get blown around? I guess it's time to build one and get my own experience.

Hi Geoff. Good for you for building that. I have always LOVED the sheer on that boat. Its on my life list of boats I want to build someday.

John

The great part is my nephew has decided he would like to build a pirogue, finally he is taking an interest in
SOMETHING I like to do!!!

Next build a Bolger Seahawk

Back