How was everyone dealing with this virus scare?

So far so good in Perry, WinnDixie does have tp again but no cleaning products. Most food items are available and a few restaurants in town are open for take out or limited seating. I was able to find some handgun ammo at Gold and Guns in the city though Dani if y'all need a few more boxes they have a few but not much.

I will start by saying I work from home. I work with people in China, and Italy. I would say don't be to optimistic about what the news is telling us in those regions. I talk to people in both countries weekly.... things are worse there, than what the media promotes here.

Me.. Like I said, I work from home. My wife is a teacher. They are closed for 1 month....for now... could be longer. We have enough propane to run the generator long enough to pump 72000 gal of water. Ideally. Can goods are depleted... we got lazy.... 553 pints of fruits, veggies, and meats. just got 600 lids.... need to get another 1000 before harvest. The weather is warmer than usual... Tiller is about to go on the tractor. We have our seeds to plant. We have full 500 gal tank of diesel. Only a couple cases of whiskey... may need to go to town soon. We have about 8 weeks of dog food for Otter....

Wife has been home 3 1/2 days... we will see how this plays out!

We were at Cabelas Monday night. At that time, they had full shelves of ammo and reasonable prices.

NJ over here, I work in emergency power so we're still humming along until someone tells us otherwise. I am fortunate to work in our office, not in field work so I am able to socially distance myself decently well. Still a bit unnerving with things changing by the day.

My girlfriend is a vet and their practice has gone to seeing the animals without owners and speaking to the owners on the phone while they stay outside of the building. Very strange times for sure. Hope all the DHBP family is staying safe.

Here in the Raleigh area, things are much the same as everywhere else.

I have told my wife we are no longer going to Costco. The lines have been nuts.

I retired last year so my contact with people is less than other pastors. Here's a piece from the church world during corona virus: I am preaching for a congregation this weekend that normally has four services. Those services, of course, are canceled. So I am being video taped on Saturday along with musicians and a service leader and that will be "broadcast" on the congregation's website for people to view in their own time. Preaching to empty space: that's a different image of a pastor!

The congregation we belong to has divided up all the families among several leaders. We will make weekly phone calls to keep it contact. Talked to one older widow tonight. She was ready to talk, at length. Her closing word: "I can't thank you enough." You might remember to check in on the folks who live by themselves that you also know.

I pray each day for the health care workers of our country as well as our national leaders. The word today from the CDC was that "personal scarves can serve as a mask if necessary." It is almost criminal that a country such as ours should not have all the proper equipment for our health care professionals readily available.

Regarding masks: what are people going to do who work in the fiberglass or cabinet industry? They also need masks to do their jobs.

It is a time to use great hygiene, respect the distance of others around us, and trust that God alone is in control, even as humans panic over toilet paper.
Larry

Larry Eckart said:
Preaching to empty space: that's a different image of a pastor!

Larry

Larry,

You just have to visualize that they are there and listening. Shouldn't be that hard, seems like half the congregations have been doing this for years,,,,,,,,, visualizing they are listening! [;)][;)] [angelic]

Dave said:

Larry,

You just have to visualize that they are there and listening. Shouldn't be that hard, seems like half the congregations have been doing this for years,,,,,,,,, visualizing they are listening! [;)][;)] [angelic]

Touche! My friend. Well said,
Larry

Thanks Charles for that tip. I'll let the purchasing people know and see what they say.

All non essential businesses order to close as of 9pm tonight in NJ. Only mandatory travel allowed. Grocery store, bank etc......

jode hillman said:
All non essential businesses order to close as of 9pm tonight in NJ. Only mandatory travel allowed. Grocery store, bank etc......

So, we are under similar restriction, but if you look at it there will be a lot open here included in essential. Big box stores like the home despot and tractor supply, for example. They specifically said liquor stores will stay open.

Work has been closed temporarily, but our state restriction will close it officially until near the end of the semester, so we are waiting to hear the plan from work.

We are sheltering well here so far. We are staying well fed and the dog is getting a lot of exercise. I am painting trim today, so there is that...

Last edited:
tod osier said:
jode hillman said:

So, we are under similar restriction, but if you look at it there will be a lot open here included in essential. Big box stores like the home despot and tractor supply, for example. They specifically said liquor stores will stay open.

Work has been closed temporarily, but our state restriction will close it officially until near the end of the semester, so we are waiting to hear the plan from work.

We are sheltering well here so far. We are staying well fed and the dog is getting a lot of exercise. I am painting trim today, so there is that...

Correct, there are a lot of businesses considered essential. Those workers are being issued travel papers that allows them to be on the roads. I?ve been spending a lot of time in the shop, and on the farm outback planting.

Hopefully this will quicken the demise of this thing.

jode hillman said:
tod osier said:
jode hillman said:

Correct, there are a lot of businesses considered essential. Those workers are being issued travel papers that allows them to be on the roads. I?ve been spending a lot of time in the shop, and on the farm outback planting.

Hopefully this will quicken the demise of this thing.

We don?t seem to have any travel restrictions, there is guidance not to travel in groups or to do group activities, but at this point we are free to do important things like go clamming on those good tides coming up (unless they close the beds).

I live in south jersey and happen to work for one of those companies that have been labeled as "essential" I wind up traveling all over the northeast staying for a week at a time in all different hotels. I used to go out and eat everyday but since this has all happened, I bring food from home and eat in my hotel room. The first thing I do when I get into the room is spray the a/c vents with Lysol.

Read all you posts. Seems everyone is doing what needs to be done. We here in Illinois are on lockdown. Of course it doesn't seem to mean much here. Still not enough people taking it serious enough to protect themselves or others with even the simplest PPE. My family is scattered from the East Coast to the West coast and in the Midwest. My oldest son and his family are in Brooklyn NY. He's one of those that has lost his income since his livelihood depends on Broadway. That of course worries me. My youngest boy was diagnosed with an autoimmune deases last fall. He's compromised and that worries me. My middle boy lives with his mother in Iowa. Last I heard all is well there but I worry none the less. My wife works for one of those essential companies and her company is taking precautions better than most but it still worries me. Me, I'm retired and after this is all over, god willing I will be applying for a new liver. Stay safe all. Wear your PPE and wash your hands.View attachment 0316201727a.jpg

IF you own a Kinsa Smart Thermometer you can download an app. that enables the individual temperature readings from your household to be sent to the company. They have been using this data to generate a Health Weather Map, which for all intents and purposes tracks the seasonal influenza strain's annual spread cycle in the U.S. These data are now being analyzed and all elevated temperatures greater than one standard deviation above the logarithmic mean value (anti-log of the annual mean values) generated from their previous annual accumulated elevated temperature value data are considered to be likely associated with Covid-19 infection. Consequently, they can use their plot to generate a national heat map of potential outbreak risk...

One other background consideration; if you are living in an area near an outbreak hotspot, you can check the area hospitals to determine both the number of beds they have that are zero atmospheric pressure rooms, or can be converted to this configuration should the need arrive, since these are the care facility's infectious treatment rooms. Most folks can stay home since the disease course is mild for much of the population, rather than seek hospitalization, unless you are immuno-compromised and are in the age bracket range that places you at greater risk of complications post-infection. You should also update your medical status charts via your practitioner to reflect your current medications and chronic disease status if you are deemed an at-risk patient. I found that my personal chart has a medication listed that I am no longer taking and another one at a too low dose.

Hopefully, the administration will eventually mobilize the national guard and/ or permanent status military units to site mobile hospitals in Covid-19 hotspots to do triage, beginning this week.

Last edited:
It just occurred to me; This is probably the first time in my adult life, that my preference is to be considered "non-essential".

I teach in the graduate PA program at a small liberal arts college here in Billings. We made the transition to on-line lectures and testing this week with just some minor hiccups. I know that the students are more anxious about this then most of the faculty are, particularly the ones that have been pulled from their clinical rotations. I plan to call my advisees tomorrow to check in on them and remind them that this too, shall pass. The campus is pretty quiet so I go in to the office every day because I just get more work done there than I do at home. My National Guard drill next weekend has been cancelled and we are standing by to see if there will be any call up to state or federal duty. Coming from a culture of hearty handshakes, it is difficult for me to readjust when I greet people. I am beginning to think that a slight bow like we used to do in the dojo might make more sense for a while. My daughter works in one of the local emergency departments so I worry a bit for her but she is young and healthy and not in a high risk group and they take all the expected precautions when interacting with patients. The college gym is closed but I have a treadmill and weights in my garage so I am continuing to work out every day. Putting my kayak in the river a couple of times a week to do some fishing is always therapeutic and the best social distancing procedure I know of.

Last edited:

There is a Geezer law now in place in NY.

70 and older, must stay home. (I'll be 70, April 24th)

Can only leave the house for outdoor exercise close by (alone), medical reasons (if they will see you), and food shopping.

Also visitor restrictions, and requirements.

So... As long as I do not catch and release fish.

When I go FISHING.

I'm FOOD SHOPPING?

Yes. I know this is not a dire issue, and I'm not asking in jest, but I sure would like a answer.

Most likely the DEC will issue a statement. IF they are allowed to go to work.

Even with plenty of art work to do.

The daily routine of being a Indoorsman, and not a Outdoorsman, is feeling like the movie Groundhog Day.

VP

Well, I live in a hot spot for the virus, the San Francisco Bay area. Do you know the benefits of breaking a bone in your vertabrae? I slipped while pulling my Barnegat Bay Sneak Box from the street into my garage and fractured a bone mid-back. This happened Jan. 15, so I have had to stay in my house since then! We are required by law now to stay in our homes. Restaurants, bars, wineries etc. are all closed. The only busineses that deal with the public that are open are grocery stores and pharmacys. I probably will have to go to the grocery store in a month to get food. Right now it's me and my Black Lab, Mazie.
Jim

Vince, for now at least, our state wildlife agency is encouraging fishing. My son and I brought home a nice stringer of 1-1.5# bass last week to supplement the freezer. 6 year olds generally do not believe in the virtues of catch and release and neither do I when the landowner encourages keeping any bass under 3#.

Vince Pagliaroli said:
So... As long as I do not catch and release fish.

When I go FISHING.

I'm FOOD SHOPPING?

Enacting Matilda?s Law to protect New Yorkers age 70+ and those with compromised immune systems
  • Remain indoors
  • Can go outside for solitary exercise
fishing is a solitary exercise

and remain indoors? I'm a little behind you age wise, but if they think i am letting the dogs poop in the house for my health - fergit it

and PS - if they have to stay 6 feet away they'll never get the cuffs on ya

Last edited:
Back