Huff BBSB In Rough Seas

Really NOT true. If you look at what is best in bad sea are small planing hulls. Not talking about 10ft seas, but thin is what is really best. look at the top of the line off shore fishing boats. Jet skis. Long and thin. And really non planing hulls, well dont think anyone would say there are good.

F,
are you owning one or looking to buy?
These questions always make me cringe.
Sure a guy can get to know his rig and get very good with it in the handling of the boat heavily loaded with gear and dog and get away with some awesome hunts in the late season big water on a nasty day. But learning that takes time and practice. And it still is a high percentage play for anyone in the cold water. I see FL in your profile so maybe a dunk in 60 deg. isnt as bad as 39 but you get my point.
I would never tell a duck hunter not to go in his own rig.

But I also would not encourage anyone to do the same. Just too many times it is the bad choice and I would not want that on my mind if the operator made a wrong move or had an equipment failure.
Way too many personal bad examples to site for me to try to explain on a web board what goes into getting there and home in one piece. Stuff can still happen.
If you own one, run it a lot in the summer. Get to know it and then play the safe cards over the high risk ones. You will have a better chance of becoming an old duck hunter.

Someone telling you on the internet that a small boat is great for hunting nasty open water is just that.

Last edited:
I guess we would need to know what "rough" is?
Some places, that is a 2'+ chop, other places its a 6' swell, or a 6' swell with a 2' chop on top!
What kind of water are you hunting?

I would have to agree with Bob. Know your boat, spend a good amount of time handling it in different conditions and then you will know what the boat and you are comfortable with. It is not just the boat! It is the combination of boat, load and driver. Don't take chances!

Back