Hunter Safety course requirements

Bill Savoie

I received a wake-up call yesterday regarding state requirements for proof of hunter safety course completion. I was planning/hoping to go down to Rhode Island just after the New Year to hunt sea ducks. Brian Rhodes informed me that the state requires proof of having completed a hunter safety course in order to get a license. Here in New Hampshire, you must produce either a previous hunting license or proof on course completion. I took my hunter safety course in the late 70's, the card is long since gone and so are the state records. In the past, all I've ever needed when hunting out of state is to produce my hunting license. What are the rules in your states? Anyone else run into this?

New Hampshire has an on-line course followed by a field day event. I took the practice exam and was pleased to find I passed. Too bad the next field day here isn't until April, so no Rhode Island until next fall.

Wow...bummer. The states I've hunted in usually have always stated if your born before a certain date, usually late 70's to early 80's your exempt and can get a hunting lic. Since I belong to the "Ole' Farts" club it's never been an issue. Kind of puts the bite on for guides and out-of-state clients.

Sorry to hear that.

Ed L.

Last edited:
I've heard of some states out west having this policy. Rhode Island is one of the first back east to hop on board. The only other way is if you are military/ex-military.

I have guys well into the 60's go sit in a class for a Sat to get their card to come hunt!

I wouldn't let that stop me. Nothing wrong with Hunter Safety. I've hunted with some people who could use a "refresher"course,...... once. Sure beats the doctor or funeral bills.
-

John,
I ran into the same problem with Maryland. They want proof of a safety course for non-residents. I was able to contact the New York State DEC and get a duplicate safety certificate issued. I had tried in the past to get a copy or re-issued certificate to no avail. They know I have a hunting license and they could tell by my age that I took the course to get the hunting license so I was finally able to convince someone at the DEC to issue me a new one. I explained it wasn't my fault if they couldn't find the paper original. Maybe Ohio will extend the same courtesy? Good luck.
Chris

I really don't mind, but do find it a little funny since I used to help teach the course at one of the local gun clubs. New Hampshire recently instituted a safe boating class requirement. I've been around boats most of my life too, but if it makes everyone safer around me, I guess it's better. I just wish I'd known earlier, Brian's shots of those eider is a mighty tease and I was gonna buy myself a Christmas present.

I've also had guys do that as well. Most states have good records of all that stuff and guys have had called and had duplicate copies sent to them at no charge.

In NY, there's been a safety course requirement for over 40 years, wouldn't the mere possession of a NY hunting license prove that you have at one time passed a safety course?

What's next, you need a road test before you can drive in a different State?

Usually there is an affidavit that can be signed that will suffice.... I too took the class back at Boy Scout summer camp in the 1970s, no clue where the card is though I still have the patch! I took it again in Vermont when I could not find an old license, and took it again when my kids went through it in Virginia! Can't say I can put a finger on any of those cards, but keep all my old licenses mostly because of the stamps on them.... Surprised, a hunting license and a signed affidavit will not satisfy RI. Obviously a requirement put in place by a bureaucrat, and not the Game Dept.... as it will reduce the number of hunters from out of state for sure!

Dave

Here is the Alabama requirements:

Successfully completing an approved hunter education course is mandatory for all non-supervised hunting license buyers born on or after August 1, 1977, except APOST certified law enforcement officers employed in the state, active duty U.S. Military personnel and Alabama residents who are active members of the U.S. National Guard.

http://www.outdooralabama.com/hunting/education/

We have a reciprocity rule, so once you take a course in one state, it is recognized here.

I'm 51 years old. I've been hunting since I was 13.

I have not taken a hunters safety course so i can't get a duplicate certificate. I have nothing against hunters safety courses and I think they are an excellent idea but if a state is willing to ignore my 38 years of safe hunting experience and require me to attend a HS course so i can spend $$$$ in their state then I am willing to cross that state off my list. An on-ine course and an hour of my time would be acceptable.

Bill:

I would call the DNR in Rhode Island to see if they partner with other states and share hunter safety and licensing records. Here in the midwest, I can buy hunting licenses for my boys and I either online or at any retail outlet that sells licenses. The clerk will enter my driver's license number or social security number and presto, my hunter safety records and previous license purchases show up. No hunter safety card needed since they all access the same database. I would be surprised if most states aren't on this program.

As an alternative, you could always just take a camera. To me it's the process and fellowship that's fun. Bagging ducks is a fringe benefit. Good luck.

Kevin

NY requires a previous license... in your quest to hunt all 50 states I know Colorado requires a hunter safety certificate and I think Montana requires that you carry your certificate with you while in the field.

Yep, that's the long and short of it, to get to all the states I need to do something. I will say I'm glad I found out this way and now rather than having to back-track to pick up another state in the middle of a multi-state trip.

I'll take the on-line portion of the test now and complete the rest in April. I'll just have to find another state to visit this winter.

In Michigan, I believe you either produce a previous licence, or sign an affidavit that you have taken a course. I think after I moved here, I signed off once and then showed an old licence a couple of times, but since they went electronic (actually scanning your drivers licence) I have not been asked to produce a previous licence.

Chuck

South Dakota only requires hunter safety course proof if you are under 16. Otherwise it might limit the number of nonresident hunters if they made sure they knew something about safety...not a joke.
The state does keep pretty good records and an older hunter who loses their card can get a replacement as long as they know about what year they took it.

In the last ten years all first time bowhunters were required to have taken a bowhunting education course, or I think if you have proof you have bowhunted in another state that will work also.
I did the bowhunter course here pretty early and most of the people in it were over 20. It was a long day but more informative then I thought it would be.

I do think states that move their requirements and make more older hunters need them should run separate courses for older hunters. No way would I sit through a course with a bunch of 12 year olds if I couldn't find a card I haven't needed since I was 16, and I don't think that would be fair to the young kids either.

Tim

Chuck,

I grew up in Michigan and took the hunter safety course in boy scouts in Metamora (I think). that was 1977?

In other states I've had to produce a previous license and sign a form. New Hampshire is all on-line now.

Bill

Bill, you will be needing that card for Nevada. They did not provide me a born before date for my trip this fall so I had to provide them proof of taking a prior class. Also in Nevada they are serious about writing your HIP number on the space provided on the small game license. HIP is done on line as well. They also need you to create a profile for the on line license system. I don't know how well it works when you walk up to a vendor counter and just buy the stuff.

When I lived there as a teenager in the early 1980's they did not require hunters safety to apply for my deer hunting permits or to get a hunting license. It must have changed once they went to the fancy electronic system long after I moved out.

In 1977 when I lived in Oregon I went through a hunter safety class as part of my 4H rifle team training. When I received my official ODOW card my Dad told me to keep this card safe since it was harder to replace than my social security card. It survived being washed twice over my teen years. In the early 1990's I used the laminating machine at work to seal it up forever. Unless I need it, the card sits in the gun safe with the other paper work.

In Alaska there is a born before date of 1986. However, there are some areas within certain units that require hunter safety no matter what age you are. In these areas you are essentually hunting in towns and neighborhoods so the State wants to make sure you, and those around you, are as safe as they can make you.

I know you need one for ND that you must CARRY as well as have when you apply for the permit. I lost mine years ago although I was exempt from having to take it due to my age, yet mom made me take it. (THANKFULLY) When I was applying for ND, they need the card, I called Madison and got a new card issued for 3.50 or something like that. I know there are "courses" where you sit for the day on a Saturday and then hunt. Maybe other states near you or even RI has one you can take and then hunt during the week???? Good luck.

Back