Hunting dog

I had a lab who still had her dew claws and had nothing but trouble. I had to resort
to using athletic tape to tape them to the leg whenever we trained in heavy cover
or went hunting. It worked ,but removing them late is major surgery and when they are torn
your dog will be quite lame.(some times for days)
John

OK thaks to Dave Larsen I think I have found our breeder, Hat Creek Labs...

We are on his list for pups due and expected to be ready end of June. Still up for debate is choosing a female or a male. Im 2nd on the list for female choice or 1st on the list if I chose male... I couldnt make up my mind when he asked so he said for now that was OK...

His price was way less than what I expected but with Daves recommendation I think I feel very comfortable with this breeder... He said dew claws would be removed and I think I feel good about that...

Thanks for all the input guys,

now I need to prepare for the training...

Books, videos, online resources?

Bridget

OK thaks to Dave Larsen I think I have found our breeder, Hat Creek Labs...

We are on his list for pups due and expected to be ready end of June. Still up for debate is choosing a female or a male. Im 2nd on the list for female choice or 1st on the list if I chose male... I couldnt make up my mind when he asked so he said for now that was OK...

His price was way less than what I expected but with Daves recommendation I think I feel very comfortable with this breeder... He said dew claws would be removed and I think I feel good about that...

Thanks for all the input guys,

Bridget

What color are they expecting?!?!

Last edited:

Bridget

Congrats. I know how exciting this can be. There are a lot of good books and videos out there. IMO the videos are easier to grasp and worth the money.

For puppy training and basic obedience,
"Sound Beginnings" by Jackie Mertins followed by
"Fowl Dogs 1"by Rick Stawski
These two dvds are relatively inexpensive and should give you a basic frame work for the first 9-12 months.

There are many other systems out there. Someone mentioned it earlier. If you can find a local retriever club to join, there will be a world of experience that is difficult to get from a book or video. Also I believe some 4H groups provide retriever training programs for kids. Good luck.

James

We are going to go for chocolate, he said he bred a yellow with a black and this is the third breeding for the pair. She always produces large litters including about three of each color and each sex of chocolate and yellow which were really my first two choices..

I am so excited, Im waiting till he calls me back in about a week or so to confirm everything with the pregnancy (she is only about two weeks along so far.) Before I tell Blake. I cant wait to see the look on his face, he has missed Colby so much this last year!

Only down side to this breeder is that he is about 4 1/2 hours away, going to be putting some major miles on the expedition early this summer going for visits I guess... Pup should be ready to come home the end of June if everything works out OK...

Ill look into those videos for sure!

Hi:
My 2 cents-
To speak to the issue of the distance. I work with the SPCA and we ofton have dogs at one end of the province that get adopted at the other end. Simple fix - we organize a shuttle service - volunteers drive "X" number of miles and aviola animals get from A - B. I'm sure that something like this could be arranged.
Best Regards
Ron

Bridget,

Here are a couple of resources for dog training. The Smartwork Puppy program may be a good place to start for Blake: http://rushcreekpress.com/page2seminarsnewitems.html It is in the bottom half of the page. Remeber, dog training can be as adictive and time and money consuming as hunting, boat building, decoy making, etc. In that vein, there is going to be a seminar in your neck of the woods later this month: http://rushcreekpress.com/images/EvanGraham_flyer_09.doc

Have fun with your pup!

Tom

Back