I have a friend that just got hooked real bad...

John Molnar

Hi,
Can you guys post up pictures of your sneakboxes all grassed up???
Most of the pictures are of just the boats before the grass...
So he can see the boats all grassed up....
Thanks...

Last edited:
The pic isn't that great of quality but my 12ft sneakbox is in there...

pic32.jpg

Here is my Devlin BB2 this year. It's still a work in progress- plan on grassing the dodger, cockpit cover, and a little on the motor cover as time permits.

image0002.jpg

image0003.jpg

image0004.jpg

-Bill

Bill,

Nice job on the dodger. Did you sew it yourself? Any pics of the frame alone? I made one for my BB3 but it didn't turn out nearly as nice as yours. Still, one of the best accessories that I put on the boat.

Pete

Pete,

Thanks. I did sew the dodger, cockpit cover, and engine cover myself. Learned a whole lot about my sewing machine. Had been planning on posting on how I did it, but have been distracted. Here is a pic of the frame. It is 7/8 OD aluminum tubing, and I bent it with a 3/4" conduit bender from Home Depot (believe the conduit is measured ID). The hardware is internal Bimini, and the place I bought it from sold a special crimper to fasten it, but I believe a hammer and center punch, plus a little finess, would give similar results.

The bows:
image0009.jpg

Hinge. I set it up like this so each hinge has much less than 90 degrees to move.
image0007.jpg

The "high tech" attachment to raise it. Could not think of any other solutions, and this one works. One bunge goes to the top corner of the bow, the other runs all the way around the base of the dodger to the other side of the boat. 6 snaps hold the front of the dodger to the combing.
image0008.jpg

I hope to put these into one, coherent post someday.

Have a great season!

-Bill

Very nice Bill. I think my frame is very similar except I used conduit for it as my source of aluminum tubing wasn't available. My dodger looks like my 7 year old granddaughter sewed it - no, she would have done a better job than I did. Thinking back on it, I made the dodger something like the week before the season opened or some thing like that and had no time for finesse. Maybe I'll go back and redo it sometime. The one thing I did was to fasten the front of the dodger to the front of the coaming so water couldn't get underneath. It seems that when I am in waves and the dog goes to the front of the deck, I can get waves washing right up on the deck and into the cockpit. The dodger solves that problem. I'll try and get some pics of it.

I just got through putting my boat away for the season. Mine closed last Tuesday and I'm still in mourning. Had my best season ever and it's hard to let go.

Pete

Gary,

Your boat looks great, what are you using for grassing material? do you have any close up photos of the material bound?

I'm trying to get away from fast grass and similar materials, just looking @ alternate solutions.

Thanks,

Steve

HI Steve
I used a plant that my wife has in the yard called ornamental Zebra Grass. We have 4 plants and I cut enough off of it to grass my whole boat. I love the stuff. Guess what, I told her to plant an additional 4 more next yr. so I can grass up my tdb also.

HI John
Yes It looks like that until July then in the fall it dies. Its grows about 7' tall. Tough stuff.
Gary

Back