I like this idea (layouts)

That is 48" at least. .. Same as the layout.

I will say, on Michigan... Which, as stated, is NOT where I would chose to use this, have had the best luck on calm days.. Flat water to rollers with a long duration . The worst hunts are when the weather is the worst. Other than snow, the same can be said on the Mississippi. Wind is a friend on the river, though. My point is there are many cases where calm water is also shallow... And the dog may may not be a liability. Hunting without a dog plane Sucks IMO. I am considering a second boat ( I.e. see classified) for dog, or a smaller dog boat... for options... Either way, I would be looking at one of these methods for 1-3' of water. There are a some open water laws up here that also lend themselves to this.

I have a MUCH greater concern over a dog breaking beside me when I am sitting, than I do with one breaking from behind me.

Tony, I have not turned around in a Bonneville or Busick. But I have in a MLB as well as other homemade layouts and not had any issue.

Last edited:
you act as though you are adding an dead weight to the back of the boat. I don't really like the concept, but the add on boat has it's own displacement with a very light load compared to the boat with the human, waders and weapon. As far as the dog jumping over you this situation requires a well trained dog that does not break and was trained in this boat in the off season. I use the little sunfish i built last summer and the dog sits on the back of the boat. How many guys on this site run sneak boxes with the dog behind them???

you act as though you are adding an dead weight to the back of the boat. I don't really like the concept, but the add on boat has it's own displacement with a very light load compared to the boat with the human, waders and weapon. As far as the dog jumping over you this situation requires a well trained dog that does not break and was trained in this boat in the off season. I use the little sunfish i built last summer and the dog sits on the back of the boat. How many guys on this site run sneak boxes with the dog behind them???
Shawn how much does a 80-90lb retreiver weigh once he is soak n wet? The weight addition is substantial along with the added water that will be in the boat after each retrieve.

don't have a 90lb retriever and I do not have the specifications for the rear vessel so I do not have the displacement information. But I can say this for sure it does not look like an anchor.

That is 48" at least. .. Same as the layout.

I will say, on Michigan... Which, as stated, is NOT where I would chose to use this, have had the best look on calm days.. Flat water to rollers with a long duration . The worst hunts are when the weather is the worst. Other than snow, the same can be said on the Mississippi. Wind is a friend on the river, though. My point is there are many cases where calm water is also shallow... And the dog may may not be a liability. Hunting without a dog plan. Sucks IMO. I am considering a second boat ( I.e. see classified) for dog, or a smaller dog boat... A options... Either way, I would be looking at one of these methods for 1-3' of water. There are a some open water laws up here that also lend themselves to this.

I have a MUCH greater concern over a dog breaking beside me when I am sitting, than I do with one breaking from behind me.

Tony, I have not turned around in a Bonneville or Busick. But I have in a MLB as well as other homemade. Layouts and not had any issue.
Phil, the Buisck and this boat will be very tight in the thigh area. Tight enough you most likely will have your thighs hitting the front of the deck. This is why I mention turning around in it. We build this boat as the Erie. Its TIGHT. your not turning around in it very easily at all. This boat is rated at 258lbs and thats based on a boat that weights 90lbs. The boat is 50" wide. and 10ft long and I know the boat in question is the same size because of who built the molds and where he built them from. Its extremely narrow and not designed for this use. You choose to do what ever you want and thats fine, Im just giving you information pertaining to layout boats and this style in particular because we build it. And own the Busick molds as well as sell the plans to make them from wood. With that said and knowing you like to build things Id recommend you getting a set of plans to build a layout from and modifying them to accommodate what your looking to do. Maybe make it 14ft long and add a little width and simply add a compartment in the back for your dog. Seems this would be a much safer and create a stronger boat that would be built structurally for this situation. Heck even build it to the side of the boat to hold the dog sort of a l shape maybe. Opposite side you shoot from toward the rear of the boat. This would give more stability for bringing the dog onboard and allow him to be at your reach easily if needed. Just some food for thought.

I was never looking at the layout boat. I was only interested in the concept of the dog trailer.

Then how do you plan to use just the dog attachment without a layout? Phil we went through great trials and error with a dog boat years ago and I actually had just about finished it when I decided I wasnt risking a dogs life and cut it up and threw it in the dumpster search on the refuge may still show some threads regarding it way back when. I have a neat set of molds for a 8ft sled that may fit your needs. Never considered it for a dog boat but it might just work. LOL If of interest shoot me a pm and I can send you some pics of it. Heck come down to the shop for a day or 2 and build yourself one.

If you notice, my first post mention concept. Since I have a mighty out boys classic, I figure I could fab a dog trailer and make it work... If I went that route

If you notice, my first post mention concept. Since I have a mighty out boys classic, I figure I could fab a dog trailer and make it work... If I went that route
I guess seeing your wanted post for a layout in the classifieds I just assumed you wanted both. my bad.

The Wanted add, was because my initial concept was simply have a second layout for Kodi. And I prefer running two layout boats

The Wanted add, was because my initial concept was simply have a second layout for Kodi. And I prefer running two layout boats
Gotcha,

So why not build a smaller layout from plans then? And anchor right beside you opposite side you shoot?

Fun project and not to hatefull price wise for a smaller version anyway.

Not sure why it would need a taller front screen as we set up with the wind at our back. A hand bildge would be required as, you are correct, the dog brings a fair bit of water in with each retreive.

As you said, the dog is upwind, when he shakes he will soak you. When he launches, he will soak you. Remember, all those birds are coming mostly from down wind.

I guess you could teach a dog to launch perpendicular to the rig, then turn, but most likely he will try to take a line from the cockpit. I don't know how you could kill and retrieve a few birds from that thing without ending up soaked, along with all of your gear.

If the dog gets panicked or into any type of distress he could approach on the wrong side. He will be clawing at the side of the layout. If you convince him to go around he has to find his way around the anchor rodes, if they have much scope in them.

Yeah... I didn't think about him shaking off!!! LOL

As far as gong straight over the front. I do not see that happening. No matter where I am, I have never had a dog try to go through me. I feel more strongly about this after watering video of the Dead On Arrival layouts. But that is my opinion. Not sure that I would go this route, but I don't think this is as dangerous as some do. I would take a water pump to drain if that much water was brought in. As for the ladder.. putting one on both sides seems to make the most sense.
Some one had an independent dog layout... I am guessing 30"x 50"... maybe bigger.. that was another idea.
So.. since the dog is not the shooter. Would his layout have to meet the same guidelines to not be a sinkbox?

I'd like to see the concept work, but I worry too much about the dogs safety, and the potential for swamping to try it for myself. One thought did occur, on the east coast body-booting is fairly common. Phil, you said the water is shallow enough to wade, could you stand in the rig and leave the dog in a layout? That would seem like a neat experiment.

Phil.
I like that concept.

I don't really consider long lines much of an issue with dogs. I guess I might have different experiences in regards to long lines but we always train the dogs through long lines early in the first couple years in shallow warm water. Ever dog we have trained learns how to negotiate them without issue fairly quickly. After they get hooked a few times on droppers they learn how to avoid / get out of it they don't give them trouble.

If you cant walk to the layout boat your not going to be able to get to it without a tender in the first place. I guess you could set long lines in deeper water and set the layout near shore and walk out to it still but I don't see that happening often. So in most traditional layout hunts there is going to be a tender and as you pointed out in shallow water you can just walk out.

I have actually done layout hunts with dogs behind us a few times using double ended WI style skiffs. These were done in deep water with long lines and a tender. I have also done quite a few traditional layout hunts without dogs and just tender boats. The water in the boats from the dogs was a pain to deal with but they proved very valuable on recovering cripples before they got far out there. Its been our experience that a lot more cripples got away with just a tender boat as opposed to with the dogs and a tender. With a setup like this eliminating the water in the same boat It would really make the process more enjoyable.

Yeah... I didn't think about him shaking off!!! LOL

As far as gong straight over the front. I do not see that happening. No matter where I am, I have never had a dog try to go through me. I feel more strongly about this after watering video of the Dead On Arrival layouts. But that is my opinion. Not sure that I would go this route, but I don't think this is as dangerous as some do. I would take a water pump to drain if that much water was brought in. As for the ladder.. putting one on both sides seems to make the most sense.
Some one had an independent dog layout... I am guessing 30"x 50"... maybe bigger.. that was another idea.
So.. since the dog is not the shooter. Would his layout have to meet the same guidelines to not be a sinkbox?

Dog could absolutely be in a sinkbox.

way too dangerous for a dog

Dog is a tool, no sense having one if you are not going to use it. I love the idea.

I'm sorry T .....I didn't take your sense of humor into account. I should have know better ....totally my fault

Thanks fine, no harm done. I was a little grumpy about the whole thing, but I kicked both the dogs (twice) - and I felt better immediately.

way too dangerous for a dog

Dog is a tool, no sense having one if you are not going to use it. I love the idea.

I'm sorry T .....I didn't take your sense of humor into account. I should have know better ....totally my fault

Thanks fine, no harm done. I was a little grumpy about the whole thing, but I kicked both the dogs (twice) - and I felt better immediately.

See that one I got.....50%......I was much smarter when I was working....SMH

Back