I took the Black Brant III out to do some scouting today - post Sandy

John L

I took a much need day off today a ran the Black Brant III along 30 miles of coast line.
We were going to launch from my marina but there is still a pile of debris blocking the ramp that we have not gotten to clean up yet. We were able to launch from a ramp in town that still has half the ramp accessable. Todays mission was not so much about scouting for birds as much as seeing how thing have changed post Hurricane Sandy.
I left the ramp and headed out along the usual route where we saw plenty of Brant and other birds going back and forth.
IMG_0781.jpg

The rafts of birds are about what they should be this time of year. So it looks like Sandy didn't drive them away.

IMG_0789.jpg

IMG_0791-Copy.jpg

The route we took brought us from the back bay thru the marsh islands and out towards the barrier islands. There was not as much small debris as I thought there would be, a pleasant surprize. There was some larger pieces logdged in the sand around some of the islands.

DSCF3039.jpg

The next stop is a spot on the bay side that we frequent during the summer to BBQ and just hang out on the hook and relax. It is one of the shortest walks from the bay to the ocean, about 200 yards. So it's an easy walk thru the dunes when dragging the surfboards.
DSCF3029.jpg

We took the Black Brant II and the Black Brant III (grassed).

DSCF3030.jpg

As soon as we headed up the trail to the ocean it was clear that the ocean had broken through at this location.

The road that runs along the barrier island was washed out and undermined. The army had cleared most of the sand from the roadway and did a quick fix so the road would not be lost.

IMG_0779.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

You can see where the ocean cut right through the sand dunes and spilled over into the bay. This was one of several spots we found like this.

IMG_0776.jpg

The barrier islands are still off limits at this point. Only vehicles we saw were government trucks. When we arrived at the ocean front it was clear that we lost almost all the dunes. This area was once covered by large dunes and beach grasses. It is protected nesting grounds for the endangered Piping Plover.

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

Where my friend Dominic is standing was once dunes and beach grass. There is just a small thin line of dunes left here. You can see where the dunes were just cut away and pulled out to sea.

IMG_0773.jpg

Mocha was running around getting re-acquainted with the area and then decided to go for a swim in the ocean. This crazy lab just loves the surf.

IMG_0775.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg

While we were there the only vehicles we saw were state police, DEC and various other government agencys. There was a trooper that slowed down took note of where we were and must have dispatched a helocopter to tell us to move along.

IMG_0780.jpg

So we headed back to the boats and started back to the main land. The chopper stuck around until we left then turned around and headed back also.

As we traveled along the cost line of the mainland we saw home after home boat after boat destroyed.

DSCF3044.jpg

DSCF3046.jpg

I passed by a few peoples homes who I know to see how they made out. This is a clients 35' Searay that ended up on his back lawn. I still have not heard from him yet and it didn't look like anyone was home.

DSCF3041.jpg

This next photo is a friends home. He and his family were in the house on the second floor when the storm surge came through his back doors and push all the furniture through the front of the house. His entire back yard was torn up and undermined. One corner of the houes was moved off its foundation. It will have to be completely torn down.

DSCF3043.jpg

DSCF3042.jpg

As we got closed to home there is a place where there were a lot of house boats. This is what is left. Some of them crushed, some heaved onto land and others just a pile of debris floating in the water. The town has been trying to get ride of these house barges for years. I sure hope some of the owners had enough sense to leave when they were told to evacuate.

DSCF3048.jpg

DSCF3049.jpg

DSCF3052.jpg

DSCF3053.jpg

DSCF3054.jpg

DSCF3059.jpg

DSCF3055.jpg

Well that pretty much sums up our scouting for the day.

If anyone in construction is out of work come on out to the east coast and bring your tool belt. There is plenty of work here.

John... I have heard stories, seen photos and video, but still cannot believe the devastation. My heart goes out to the families who are still being affected by Sandy.

The boats look good and I am glad you found a bunch of birds on your scouting trip. Dad and I checked out the local bay here on Saturday and found a lot of black ducks were already here, see any up there yet?

I am hoping to do a brant trip on Thanksgiving weekend, let me know if you would like to team up. I always like to know someone else is on the water nearbye when I head up your way.

How did your big boat make it through the storm?

John ,

Thanks for sharing !!! You guys took a beating down that way , i feel extremely lucky to have only minimal daamage compared to what you are dealing with down that way . Stay safe !!!

Dave M

John
Thanks for sharing those pictures. The force of water you experienced has to be unbelievable. Even the after pictures, I'm sure, don't come close to showing that force.
wis boz

Last edited:
John... I have heard stories, seen photos and video, but still cannot believe the devastation. My heart goes out to the families who are still being affected by Sandy.

The boats look good and I am glad you found a bunch of birds on your scouting trip. Dad and I checked out the local bay here on Saturday and found a lot of black ducks were already here, see any up there yet?

I am hoping to do a brant trip on Thanksgiving weekend, let me know if you would like to team up. I always like to know someone else is on the water nearbye when I head up your way.

How did your big boat make it through the storm?

Chris,

Your welcome to tag along with us Thanksgiving weekend.
Blacks have been showing up. I have seen some large rafts but the larger rafts of blacks all pick up and head farther south. Looks like they are still on auto pilot.
My big boat made out fine. Just have some cleaning to do.
Give me a call when you have a chance and I'll fill you in on the game plan for Thanksgiving weekend.

Good to see that you were able to get out John. That's a shame about all the homes and boats. How is your home? It looks like there is at least one bay shack still standing in your photos, how did they fare? Have you ever seen the dune erosion so severe? Is that something that can be restored?

Good to see that you were able to get out John. That's a shame about all the homes and boats. How is your home? It looks like there is at least one bay shack still standing in your photos, how did they fare? Have you ever seen the dune erosion so severe? Is that something that can be restored?

John,

My home sustained some minor damage. We lost some siding, water damage in one bedroom ceiling and part of the roof blew off my shed. I can't complain when I see all this destruction around here. I consider myself lucky.
I have not run west of Wantagh so I'm not sure how the bay houses made out over there.
I have never seen the dunes in this bad of shape. The entire barrier island from Jones inlet to Fire Island Inlet has been reduced to a thin line of dunes. I'm sure if and when they start dredging the inlets they will pump sand back on the beaches.
Have you made plans to come down yet?

You covered alot of water man! I recognized all the places, can't beleive that big old boat "Paper Moon" is laying on top of those houseboats! Crazy amount of brant here, looks like we might have a normal winter this year, largest amount of brant I have seen this far east in years. The bay itself is pretty clean, its just the north side we have to worry about when crossing in the dark.

You covered alot of water man! I recognized all the places, can't beleive that big old boat "Paper Moon" is laying on top of those houseboats! Crazy amount of brant here, looks like we might have a normal winter this year, largest amount of brant I have seen this far east in years. The bay itself is pretty clean, its just the north side we have to worry about when crossing in the dark.

Tim,

Where on the south shore are you from?

I hear Comb's shack is gone and I imagine most of the bay shacks are gone too.
I had 5 foot come through the first floor, I got a 4" hole in the duck boat and I'll be working on the house to get it livable for a while

The dunes on Fire Island got washed away as well..
I have been seeing a lot of Brant as well.. The Babylon HS football field has been loaded with them feeding, on a daily basis.. Honkers as well.. I have also noticed Blacks and Gadwells around.

I had 5 foot come through the first floor, I got a 4" hole in the duck boat and I'll be working on the house to get it livable for a while
Comb's shack is still there, just lost all of its decks and docks. I know the owners/caretakers.

George,

I was wondering how you made out. Let me know if we can help you with anything.

George,

I was wondering how you made out. Let me know if we can help you with anything.
Thanks John

Thank you, John, for taking the time. Almost is excruciating to look at some of that damage. To think how many lost everything they own--the hard work of getting their dream put together and seeing it totally obliterated---that is almost beyond my imagination. My heart goes out to them.
Al

What a tragedy. Separate subject: Beautiful boats, I'm thinking of building the BB2. That's a neat blind does anyone know how they are constructed?

Back