If this guy gets in

There are an awful lot of numbers floating about in the ether. Too much of it is made up to back a particular point of view or agenda. I believe it was Mark Twain who wrote, "There are lies and damned lies and then there are statistics." I take all numbers thrown at me with a grain of salt and when I find someone has "fudged the numbers," I tend to ignore them at worst, or take half and divide by four at best. No doubt about it, as Everit Durkson (forgive my spelling) said, "this is real money." I wonder if the people we send to represent us in Congress have any better idea about what is going on than we do?
Enjoying the discussion, Richard Bell

Hey Brett....

From the Heritage Foundation's website....

About us...

Founded in 1973, The Heritage Foundation is a research and educational institute - a think tank - whose mission is to formulate and promote conservative public policies based on the principles of free enterprise, limited government, individual freedom, traditional American values, and a strong national defense.

So much for using believing media outlets like FOX, Rush, National Review, The Hoover Institute.

I don't think you're the things you think I think you are. You're just confused and frustrated and don't know what you think. You read things and seem to be a bad judge of what you should believe b/c you're obsessed with the fact that going into Iraq was so bad and our country is wasting money. Read into some of the things we've posted here and read around that site you posted.

Yes, many things our government does are a mess, but like Mark said, most of what they do wasn't intended by our founding fathers and isn't required by our constitution. Your time would be better spent learning about that stuff, and complaining about the waste.

-D

I don't know Tim. How do we know that archives sight is telling the truth. How do we know that's the real Constitution?

-D

I know that Eric....what I saw was a anti war website that said out of all the money spent on defense by all the countries in the world..America spent 40 some percent of it. Last I read, we spent somewhere around 2% of GDP on defense.The budget means pretty much nothing as we all(or most) know . budget numbers are pulled out of the asses of accountants to fit the agenda of the day. I wish we spent more...more for soldiers wages, more for Veterans and more for the soldiers personal protection. Growing up during the cold war, the fear was immense...Desert Storm gave the U.S. citizens a big sigh of relief seeing that "star wars" actually could work to protect us. Yes, nuclear arms shouldn't exist...but they do so I say to hell with an equalibrium...let's be able to stop ALL the missiles aimed at us.

HERE HERE

-D
I know that Eric....what I saw was a anti war website that said out of all the money spent on defense by all the countries in the world..America spent 40 some percent of it. Last I read, we spent somewhere around 2% of GDP on defense.The budget means pretty much nothing as we all(or most) know . budget numbers are pulled out of the asses of accountants to fit the agenda of the day. I wish we spent more...more for soldiers wages, more for Veterans and more for the soldiers personal protection. Growing up during the cold war, the fear was immense...Desert Storm gave the U.S. citizens a big sigh of relief seeing that "star wars" actually could work to protect us. Yes, nuclear arms shouldn't exist...but they do so I say to hell with an equalibrium...let's be able to stop ALL the missiles aimed at us.

Beware the Heritage Foundation. What a misnomer ! The heritage (small letters) foundation is a Republican think tank who formulated the failed policies of George W. Bush and many other republican prez'z over the past decades. If memory serves me correctly, Rumsfeld was a key member in the recent past.
If your source of info is these bozo's, be afraid, be very afraid.

"WE THE PEOPLE" have to take it back by voting out of office (D's and R's), those who implement policies against our wishes.

Bill

You are going to believe something written in a "Wiki" over an officially published report required by law. I think you are are asking for quite a bit of trouble in doing this. Do yo know what a "Wiki" is? This is somethig where anyone can contribute anything they want to any subject. Doesn't have to be true. You can write whatever you want and until someone corrects it, it stays as it is. For instance, I could write that JFK was born of illegal immigrants and it would get published until someone else corrected it. Now we all know this isn't true but if it is in a Wiki, it has to be real.

Compare this to an officially published document required by law. I can't see the Rupublicans, or George Bush, publishing something this comprehensive and make it all lies. Can you imagine the fallout from publishing a bunch of lies in a public document such as this? I can't. On the other hand, is the real figure 20.1% - I don't know for certain but I am fairly certain that the real spending number is way closer to 20% than 42%.

Oh, and another thing. Maybe you need to go back and read the Constitution and what it cover. The Feds are responsible for the defense of this country and the other 79.9% that they spend is not in the Constitution. I think this is the spending that we need to cut. 42% for Medicare, Medicaide and Social Security. Where is this in the Constitution as being the responsibility of the Federal governement?

For what it is worth.

Mark W

Did you believe everything that the Clinton administration said/wrote/printed? I didn't think so.
So why should we trust the Bush administration? Just because they're Republican? Bwahahaaaa!

From what I've read from many, many sources we've spent several hundred $Billion this year in Iraq. It does seem that Wiki is correct in that these charges are not included in the Whitehouse report. Seems a little hard to believe we're only spending 20.1% on all military if we've already spent over $3T in Iraq in five years.

So yes, I'd agree with Dave S that I'm a bit confused and frustrated. I can't imagine how anyone would not be. There are so many spin doctors these days it's extremely hard to trust anything you read or hear. So like most of you I guess I'll just hafta follow my gut. I'd prefer to make a choice based on cold hard facts, but those seem to be in short supply.

Last edited:
I was searching the past posts. It hasnt gotten better. China now has long range missles. We are just moving our troops around. Not looking to argue. Is it still Bush's fault.

Holly Cow John,
it was a bit of a shock to see Lee posting and to read his take.

I sure miss that.

I'm glad he was elected. It was one of the best things to ever have happened in the United States of America.
Al

Back