If you were to only own one shotgun

I have heard it said more than once "fear the man with one gun".

I also like having one gun. For years I shot a Browning Gold in 3 1/2 inches, 26 inch barrel. I enjoyed that gun a lot. I shot everything with it, skeet, clays, ducks, grouse and anything else that needed shooting. After about 50,000 rounds it started to give me a bit of trouble. It needed to be cleaned more often. Particularly after shooting 2 3/4 shells, it needed to be cleaned before shooting 3 or 3 1/2 shells. It was also showing wear. So a broke down and bought a Beretta O/U for skeet and clays. Nice shooting and no need to pick up shells after shooting. Come August I would switch back to the Browning Gold and shoot it through the season. I then found I shoot an O/U better. I found myself switching guns through the season, Gold for any 3 1/2 inch needs and O/U for any 2 3/4 needs (I rarely use 3 inch shells). My son needed a 12 gauge so he took over my O/U. So I decided to go back to one gun. I chose the Cynergy, I love it and shoot it well. My only grumbles are the design of the recoil pad allows enough movement that it can bag my middle finger when shooting 3 1/2 shells and the lack of the 3rd shot.

I keep looking for an auto that will do it all. Shot the SBE2 and it kicks harder then the Cynergy (and a finger pounder), but it is a contender. Love the Beretta Extrema, 400 and siblings but I have heard bad things (they shoot themselves apart). I like the Browning humpback in 3 1/2 but have yet to shoot one.

If you can live with 2 shots I recommend the Cynergy. If you need 3, the jury is still out for me. That said go to the gun club, talk to folks, borrow guns for a shot or 2. Once you have it down to a couple, I would recommend shooting as many rounds as you can through the finalists. After 2 to 4 rounds of 5 stand or a round of sporting clays with each I think you will know which one is the one you need.

Two shots?

A very good man with a "Shoot Gun", would go to the Dakota's with us on yearly trips.

You could put any shotgun in his hands, and he could make it work just fine.

This was his favorite for Range Roosters.

I took this photo to give to him as a memento of a good day with his favorite.

View attachment 2 shot Browning.jpg

I've been shooting my Remington 870 since I bought it new in '75. It has been dependable as a hammer. But before last year's duck season my son bought a new Remington V3 and whenever he was hunting with me we used that one. It's a real sweetie. It's pretty light for a 3" 12 gauge autoloader, which would make it easier to carry for upland hunting. Plus the gas system reduces felt recoil a great deal, making it good for heavy 3" duck loads or for target shooting. If I didn't already have the 870 I'd probably buy a V3 myself. My son's is the wood stocked one, so it cost a little more, but I have seen some really low-price deals on the black version.

Anthony- that Marlin brings back some fond memories. When I was. Teenager my Dad would take me duck shooting and he would let me take almost all the shots. The exception were those super high flying black ducks, he rarely missed those shots.

Tom

The 37 is a great gun, I had the deer slayer and I sold it. I kick my self in the butt everyday. As far as the super goose gun goes. I have pulled down ducks and geese from way way up there. Its my way of going back in time. Over the years I got pretty fast at the with the bolt action. I only use it a few times a year but when I do I am so happy. That for your post and I'm glad that it brought back good times for you.

Remington 870 Wingmaster with 3" chamber and choke tubes.

As far as Citoris being made in Japan, they are great guns.

Thanks for all the input everyone. It really was helpful. I ended up biting the bullet today. After shouldering a half dozen guns of various brands multiple times I narrowed it down to the Beretta and Benelli both of which are fine guns.... Then the kids and I ended up scrutinizing and swinging these two guns around for another 30 minutes, and ended up choosing the Benelli 828U with the nickel receiver in 12 GA. I really didn't want to spend so much, but I'm fortunate enough a beautiful wife who insisted I was worth it...... GOD I LOVE HER..... Only disappointment was they've changed the gun law here recently. There now is a waiting period on all guns. It used to be only on pistols. You know.....so the bad guy has time to change their mind....... So with that I will have to wait till Thursday to pick it up, and hopefully get out to shoot it next weekend for my BDAY. Can't wait to break a few....

I was very tempted as I had the opportunity to buy one at $1600, NIB, but I could not figure how to explain it to my wife.

I rarely hunt anything but waterfowl, and i only have a couple of 3" guns. Day in, day out, I reach for a 3 1/2" Citori. I don't believe it prevents me from filling limits. It goes bang every time I pull the trigger, which is the most important thing to me. About the only time I choose an auto is if I am hunting in a group that may necessitate killing cripples before the get out of range.

...if you've never shot a stack barrel before, I'd suggest you try before you buy.... keep an eye out for inertial systems...you might think you're all set to go while the gun's not gonna fire... they all have their qwerks....nothing wrong with Winchester, Browning's, Mossberg, Berettas or Benelli's.... Japanese build quality should be top notch... Some friends of mine had some issues with 11-87's although mine has never failed me....Even my ugly as sin Benelli Nova gets looking better day by day, dependability these days is usually outstanding.....Sounds like whatever you go with, you might want to treat yourself to a little fancier trim level...

Although I tend to subscribe to the golf club theory of having a specific shotgun for each application I often find myself grabbing the same one. I picked up a Benelli SBEII when I first started seriously waterfowl hunting around 2004. My son now runs that gun and I have a newer SBEII. We both enjoy shooting a variety of shotguns .410 to 10ga but the SBEII's find their way into the boat, pit, blind, field and clays course more than any other. My old doubles, Ithaca, Winchester, Lefever, Clarbough and L.C.Smith, bring me the most joy to shoot and I might just pick one of those for that reason. But, the practical answer is that I do grab the Benelli more than any other.

Tom,

I started with a 20-gauge, left hand, 2-3/4" 870 wingmaster (fleur de lis on the stock) with a 26" barrel and improved cylinder choke. If we could still shoot lead, I'd probably still be shooting it.

My father shot an 870 Wingmaster Magnum with a 28" barrel and modified choke and bought a skeet choked barrel for it as an add on. The Wingmasters were great guns. Never cared for the Express or later versions.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread. I would like to offer a contrarian position.....[;)]

For the past almost 10 years now, I have been hunting with a 20 gauge. My new "1" gun is the Beretta A400. I hunt ducks out of a blind and also a layout boat. I use it for upland hunting as well as dove hunting. This past fall, I decided to try the 20 gauge on geese during two trips to Canada. I was worried that it wouldn't be "enough gun". My wife hunted with me with her 20 gauge Benelli M2 as well. We were pleasantly surprised!!! We shot Black Cloud #2 with improved modified Briley chokes and it was lethal!!!

IMO, the 20 ga is a very under-rated gauge. With today's modern loads, you are not missing much payload. Many 3" loads hold 1 oz of shot. Truthfully, the old adage "it's not the gun, but the guy behind it" is really true!!!

Best,
Steve

3 " 20ga. the wannabe 16ga.,but not as lethal...IMO [;)]

Agree about the the the person using it.

Long Live The 16ga.! The forgotten "Shootgun".

I agree Steve. When I switched to a 20 ga. for ducks I was afraid of less success and more crippling. I was pleasantly surprised and gratified that my fears were unfounded.

Vince Pagliaroli said:
3 " 20ga. the wannabe 16ga.,but not as lethal...IMO [;)]

Agree about the the the person using it.

Long Live The 16ga.! The forgotten "Shootgun".

I've been looking for a used 16 gage Ithaca 37 for a long time. Think it would be just the thing for a brush beating upland gun. I am always put off by high prices for the ones come on the market--if there is no demand for the 16 any more, why are they priced above similar 12's and 20's--not to mention what it would cost me for ammo. Ammo cost is not much of an issue for upland hunting on any but the best days of flight woodcock, but it would be for ducks.

I think the lack of demand for 16's is a myth

It may have been true long ago but vintage 16's bring a premium close to that of a 20

Try to find a nice classic double, like a Fox or Parker, in 16 these days

Back