Increasing FOOT ROOM in a Bankes Layout ?

I don't see anything in the regulations that would prohibit dropping the foot and lower leg down a few Inches it wouldn't change the visible profile of the boat and upper torso in the least and would add greatly to the comfort of many old Bigfoot hunters. My size 12 "warm weather " boots are 14"

We had a CO here years ago that might have triggered the supreme court option but he is long gone.

To more directly answer the original post I would have to agree with Tony that the birds are becoming much more aware of layout boats.

My problem with putting "boobs" on a boat would be the likelihood that if your laying down where you should be they would block the view on birds coming in at the waterline.

If you have to sit up higher your going to flare birds

Last edited:
I don't see anything in the regulations that would prohibit dropping the foot and lower leg down a few Inches it wouldn't change the visible profile of the boat and upper torso in the least and would add greatly to the comfort of many old Bigfoot hunters. My size 12 "warm weather " boots are 14"

We had a CO here years ago that might have triggered the supreme court option but he is long gone.

To more directly answer the original post I would have to agree with Tony that the birds are becoming much more aware of layout boats.

My problem with putting "boobs" on a boat would be the likelihood that if your laying down where you should be they would block the view on birds coming in at the waterline.

If you have to sit up higher your going to flare birds
Agreed, But when you drop the foot area alone you screw up the way the boat floats and its stability depending on how much you drop that area. We copyrighted our newest layout hull after 3 years of designing it to give a full 13" of foot room and a wide area for the shoulders of hunters and the ability to float properly when the proper amount of weight is placed in the boat. Believe me it wasn't easy to accomplish. A simple rectangle box with a extra 4" drop in the front foot area wont do it properly.

As stated before we either own or have hunted from virtually ever layout boat made. We currently own 8 different models and build each of them. A layout is like any other boat. different size people require different boats. They all have differences that is solely based on the end users size and requirements.

Gotta pack for Disney.

Last edited:
This is an interesting discussion. I built a twin to the layout boat in the picture from plans I got from Paul Busick. The concerns about foot space are valid. I wear waders since I can't seem to keep the inside of the layout boat totally dry.

It doesn't appear that anyone responded to Ozark Mike's comment but there's merit in adding decoy-shaped cavities into the deck to provide more space for feet. I attach goose shells to the deck of my layout boat to increase its stealthiness. I just never thought of doing so permanently to improve the comfortableness. Although, as Huntin Dave points out, increasing the comfortableness is likely to make it even easier to nod off.

Back