Interesting note in today's paper

MLBob Furia

COLUMBUS

House OKs silencers for hunters

Hunters could use silencers on their guns while hunting certain game under a proposal that passed the Ohio House.

Representatives voted 73-14 to pass the bill Wednesday. The Senate still must consider the measure.

A House committee approved the bill last month with bipartisan support after lawmakers examined the devices and listened to silenced and unsilenced weapons.

The bill would allow licensed Ohio hunters to use the silencers while hunting certain birds and other wild game, including squirrels, rabbits and deer. Only those authorized under state and federal laws could use the suppressor, which must be properly registered.

Supporters of the devices say they protect hunters’ hearing, make field commands easier to hear and reduce disruptions to neighbors. Opponents say quieter weapons are less safe and easier to use illegally.

Associated Press

COLUMBUS

House OKs silencers for hunters

Hunters could use silencers on their guns while hunting certain game under a proposal that passed the Ohio House.

Representatives voted 73-14 to pass the bill Wednesday. The Senate still must consider the measure.

A House committee approved the bill last month with bipartisan support after lawmakers examined the devices and listened to silenced and unsilenced weapons.

The bill would allow licensed Ohio hunters to use the silencers while hunting certain birds and other wild game, including squirrels, rabbits and deer. Only those authorized under state and federal laws could use the suppressor, which must be properly registered.

Supporters of the devices say they protect hunters’ hearing, make field commands easier to hear and reduce disruptions to neighbors. Opponents say quieter weapons are less safe and easier to use illegally.

Associated Press

Very positive IMO. Other than the tax stamp required, I'd do it in a second if legal.

Being a fella Buckeye, I've been following this with quiet interest.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to use a silencer, really.

Going to be interesting to watch...

Jon

I can't imagine why anyone would want to use a silencer, really.

Doesn't hurt your hearing as much. Doesn't spook game. Better aesthetic experiance. Doesn't annoy neighbors.

Same thing is proposed down here in AL. Not sure where this is coming from, but it appears to be a country-wide movement.

Of course, the correct terminology would be "suppressor" not "silencer." Wish all that will be written and argued about this issue would start by making that clear and explaining the difference. It would also be nice to see an detailed explanation of all that would be involved for someone considering the option of using one.

Of course, the correct terminology would be "suppressor" not "silencer." Wish all that will be written and argued about this issue would start by making that clear and explaining the difference. It would also be nice to see an detailed explanation of all that would be involved for someone considering the option of using one.

I'm pretty sure you buy one, you "just" need to pay something like $400 to the feds for the stamp. Your firearm has to be modified or purchased to accept one. They are legal here in CT, but not for hunting (and the federal tax stamp is required).

T

If that comes to NY I can see NY Governor Cuomo's version of a silencer.
It will be an internally threaded barrel with a harded steel bolt threaded into the end of the barrel, welded in place to "silence the firearm".

I've never seen anything stating they are not legal in SD. I have seen coyote hunting videos with guys using them so they must be legal for that. The coyotes didn't scatter nearly as fast as when they hear a normal rifle shot.

I've heard they work best on sub sonic rounds but will help on faster stuff. I'd think for semi suburban deer hunting it would be great. Something like a .300 whisper surpressed would be good for 100 yards and under.

Its not like they aren't available most places already, just not always allowed for hunting. If someone wants to they could use one for poaching and such already. Not many of them want to pay the price.

Tim

As others have said, subsonic rounds are needed for them to be effective. But I can tell you that they are nothing short of amazing on rabbits with a .22. The one time I used one, the gun was much quieter than a Red Rider bb gun and I thought it was malfunctioning. When you shot a rabbit, the other rabbits just sat there and didn't run at the sound of the shot.

Yea we had a bill here in N.C. that passed making it legal to use a suppressor while hunting. The ways understand it you get a back ground check , pay a $200 tax /fee and register it with the state. Rumor has it a o.k. quality suppressor costs $400 to $500 not including the fitting. Heck that's enough money to buy another deer rifle.

Been legal to own for ever - used to be a 5 dollar stamp but Feds uped.it to 200 bucks.......very extensive background check.......good one for about 300 bucks - makes a very effective squirrel hand gun.....squirrel gravy yum yum!

I don't know about hunting use in WA probably not; but suppressors now can be owned at least. Wish they'd been legal for hunting when I was member of a club where my favorite blinds were on a property owned by a nice lady with a dog that needed tranquilizers when shooting was happening out in the fields. She was really nice to lease the property when her dog was such a bundle of nerves. It would have been a service to her to use quiet guns.

I like it, in specific applications (even though I'd never shell out that kind of cash to use one). Sure would help deer hunting big time. Waterfowl I don't know? As they are very sensitive to Hunting/Bang pressure. Folks down the flyways, or even in the same area may not fair so well. Unscrupulous people would surely put it to good use, and make them even tougher to get caught poaching.

Silence guns, but not motorcycles, trucks, cars, back up beepers, etc. to curtail Noise Pollution....... How can ya not love politicians?

Only those authorized under state and federal laws could use the suppressor, which must be properly registered.

Associated Press

Maybe I'm just being cynical, but could this be a backdoor attempt at registration?

Frank

Only those authorized under state and federal laws could use the suppressor, which must be properly registered.

Associated Press

Maybe I'm just being cynical, but could this be a backdoor attempt at registration?

Frank

Supressors have always required federal registration.

T

Associated Press

Frank

Supressors have always required federal registration.

T
I think what Frank meant is that if you are required to use a suppressor and the suppressor must be registered, it is a backdoor way to gain registration of all firearms. I was thinking the same.

Back