INTERstate? Oh Really!

Eric Patterson

Staff member
So I'm looking at a US map moving from right to left seeing all the IX5 interstates each heading from north to south across multiple states and then I notice I45 is missing. What? That can't be. Why would they skip a number in the sequence. Then I spot it in south TX. But wait, it is completely contained in Texas running from Dallas to Houston. Never sets foot in Oklahoma. That's not an interstate, it's an intrastate! How did this happen? Crazy DOT. We had to get a waiver for our I565 because it runs east to west, like even number interstates, and not north to south. Folks were getting lost when the signs read I565 North/South. Total mayhem :LOL:.

Time to head to the shop. I'm done tackling major US issues for the day :giggle:.

Never occurred to me HI would have them. I looked up Puerto Rico. They have three and they aren't even a real state. This makes no sense.

Never occurred to me HI would have them. I looked up Puerto Rico. They have three and they aren't even a real state. This makes no sense.
Just wait a minute for the 51st star. What a valuable addition to the country.

I took a peek at Samoa, but disappointment. Maybe tonights SOTU will address this outrage.

FWIW, I've driven I45 many times between Houston and Dallas. There's a gigando statue of Sam Houston, about a 100 feet tall, on the east side of the road at the end of a roughly five mile straightaway. You can see the statue for the entire five miles when heading north.

Last edited:
Hawaii also has interstate roads. Untangle that one.

There is actually a simple answer to this one. It was created by a federal government bureaucracy. It makes perfect sense in that environment.

Greg

Maybe DOT was looking down the road (bad pun unintended so please accept my apology) for the day there is a bridge to Hawaii. I know the fed gov is already planning on a RR bridge from the Pacific Ocean to the Indian Ocean. Joe said it. 😜

When going down to Arkansas to see the wife's dad we take I35 through Iowa then south. To bypass Kansas City we get off I35 was take the I435 exit that says St Louis. The first few times after that route was opened we blew right past it and ended up in downtown Kansas City, once pulling a 30ft travel trailer. Why would they use a city on the total opposite side of the state as a direction indicator? It ends up you have to exit I435 south of Kansas City to continue south to Arkansas. We do not miss the exit any more.

Back