It's finally winter in MD.

Never thought about huntin' wid a "broke neck" duck decoy before, must attract other GE's out of simpathy. :^)

Woodrow will be here thursday according to Hitch. I'll treat him right!

Dave

They kinda sound like Roadrunner. At my folks place where I spent my high school years the river always stays open out front-20 yards from the living room. The most GE's I ever counted was 345 or so at one time in January/February among the throngs of other ducks and geese. They'd do just as Steve says...as soon as they hit the water the head throws start and the little spurts of water come arcing out of their bills...."MEEMPP". It is fairly quiet but that's the way I'd describe it. If you get a few dozen doing at once you can't miss it. The Hoodies did something similar noise wise.

My dad absolutely loved their performances and laughed his ass off every evening watching the show with a nice little glass of scotch in hand. That's a good memory. We never did freeze up this year(yet)so I haven't had much of an inclination to go down to the lake and watch the show but the big freeze is coming now and I'll make it a point to go watch the show. Good memories you know. Love those head throws!

Last edited:
Good description..kind of a deep gargle Meeemp. Got real close to some at the lake a few years ago in March..I think...there were tons of them and Hoodies all displaying...bright sunny day..man was it beautiful.

I carried on several lengthy conversations with both Sutton brothers to get a "huh" response. I ask for crackers and cheese 27 times one day before getting a huh? I said "huh" once when I heard fish sticks getting reordered. Must of been contagious

amd tuning out the wife are two, distinctly, different things.....

Steve

Unfortunately it was more than just another case of Male Selective Hearing Disorder. The best explanition I could get from the audiologist was that excessive loud noise at work was irritating (but not yet causing a loss of hearing) the nerves in my ears, which makes it hard for me to hear in situations with background noise. I now wear hearing protection even in situations of limited need. Even if it doesn't save my hearing, I come home from work with less headaches.

Chuck

Man have I noticed that lately. I can't decide if it's just me personally irritated as hell about the constant drone of kids making noise and my wife on the phone or if I'm really having trouble. I really should wear protection I guess. I just seems that everytime I put them in I pop them out after a while and then never put them back in.

Jay

I got some musicians noise plugs. They are custom molded to my ears, and in a quiet environment don't block my hearing. They have different models with different noise reductions. It cost me $150 for the pair, but I figured if I actually use them it will be worth saving my hearing.

http://www.westone.com/hearing_protect.html

Chuck

Back