I've Been Thieved!

I have found more than one wild turkey, killed by a Great Horned Owl deep in the PA woods. Pop the head right off, then all others get to eat whats left. Old birds roost close to the tree trunks. Young birds are not so smart and pay the price.

On another note.

We were set up for dark geese & white geese in Sask. The Outlaw decoys looked GOOD.

Between incoming flocks. I noticed a Badger coming in from a long way off, toward the spread.

I swear the Badger moved like Mercury over the landscape, only it's head popping up once and awhile to zero in.

At about 20 yards the Badger came full tilt, fast as hell and hit one of the Canada goose decoys.

Grabbed it, tossed it aside, glared in our direction, then got the heck outta there.

I wish I had kept that decoy, but I'll never forget that sight.

That's crazy! I've had similar things happen a few times, had a marsh hawk steal a dead wigeon once, and once I was jump shooting a small creek and stashed a freshly shot mallard in an old tree to pick up on the way back. Came back a half hour later and a huge owl took off out of the tree, it had eaten half of the mallard's breast. Best one I've ever seen was a few years ago when we were ice fishing, my mother in law had a small pile of trout on the ice outside of her hut. There was a bald eagle eyeing them from a tree at the edge of the lake, I guess he had had enough after a short while because he came over and started circling the fish, getting lower and lower. My mom in law got out of her hut and stood by her fish, not wanting to lose one to the eagle, and he swooped right in and grabbed a fish off the pile and hit her leg with his wing at the same time. I told her, not only did that eagle get your fish, but he counted coup on you at the same time!

That is interesting, Brad. I had no idea it was so unique, rather, I just thought I'd been unlucky twice and better move along somewhere else. I was used to hearing about seals/sea lions taking hooked salmon from anglers so it didn't seem too much of a stretch that I might lose a duck to one.

Back