Jerk Strings ... Spinning Wing Decoys

Fred

Since we debated spinning wing decoys. I wondered what the thought is on using jerk strings. If you use one how do you set it up?

I have tried using weights on a long decoy line before and after the decoy but was not happy with the results. I did not see any change in the birds attitude toward the decoys.

Tight Lines ... Fred

I rig mine with about 30 yards of line with a bunch of loops tied in it. The end of the line has a 3 foot camo bungee on it, and a loop of cord at the very end. I push a stake into the bottom and double the loop over it, so it won't slide off.

I find that using a jerk rig can be hugely helpful if its done right. If you jerk it while the birds are watching, you may do more harm than good. Birds don't normally swim backwards and normal birds don't move like their having a seizure. I try to use the jerk rig right AFTER the birds have gone over and had a good look. I jerk the rig, hit some comeback calls and pray that they make another pass, see the ripples on the water and like it. I have learned the hard way not to jerk the cord while the birds are right overhead.

I also drilled a hole through the middle of my stake and put some 1/2 in boat line through it. This is what I grab when I need to get the stake out of the bottom. JUst grabbing the stake (esp if its underwater) has not been very effective for me.

good luck.

-Ivan

Fred I have used a jerk sting when it is very calm. I tried it varius ways. I use a danford anchor on the end of i/4" cord. My decoys are on droppers like a long line set up. I use a bunge cord about six foot long. could be shorter . I tie that about four foot from the anchor and then put slack in the 1/4" cord and tie off the other end of the bunge cord. I put about five or six feet of slack in the 1/4" line. I run the end of the 1/4" line to the blind. I pull the 1/4" line about four or five feet and then release. I put about four decoys on the 1/4" line. This set up is real nasty.

Now what I have thought of but haven't tried yet. Is to have a Muskey pole with a heavy line on it and cast a decoy out in the water then you could jerk it or reel it in. As long as you have gone that far, might as well put a dropper on it with bait and a fish hook. A twofer, fish and duck hunt. If you catch a fish you will have a motion decoy. That would be the nastest of the nastys, Hee hee

Great idea Pete, I've got a sturgeon rod that'd work great for this. There'd be no messing around with anchors, and if you don't have a dog, some acurate casting would save wading or rowing.

Het Pete, I've often thought of doing the double duty too, doing some fishing while waiting for the ducks to come by.

The thing that stops me is the picture in my mind of a pike grabbing the bait and then running through the dekes, only to finally break off and leave me with a huge clump of decoys all with tangled lines!...

Then the ducks would come by! ;-)

Back