Jump start for the migration

Paul Meisenheimer

Supporter
Well this is a game changer. Sloughs are slushed up and the screaming winds have large numbers of migratory birds seeking protection on any open water. Supposed to clear and warm tomorrow. Sure hope the birds stick it out.

View attachment IMG_1361.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up, Paul! Thus far the birds are just rolling through, particularly geese, and not lingering.

Alberta and Saskatchewan got hit with an early wintry storm. It is making its way east. This may push some birds on the strong north winds. The Trans Canada Highway was closed yesterday and some of the back roads had two foot drifts. Most sloughs were badly slushed over.

Another warm front here in Maine after our first frost. Temps headed into the upper 70's through the end of the week. Strong S winds all week. Not ducky at all.

Looks like that forecast you were talking about, Paul, sure came true. Looks like that termination dust will all melt tomorrow for you. Good luck with your hunts.
Al

Vince Pagliaroli said:
Once it melts, driving on the Loon $hit two tracks should be interesting.[;)]

Yup, that's the truth. After yesterday's adventure my truck is completely covered in mud! Completely! I had to clean the side windows with a spray bottle and rag this morning to see out through the mud. Time to hit the car wash.

It was about 20°F this morning and most of the ponds and sloughs were frozen. I am sure they have thawed this afternoon but I do hope it didn't push all the birds out. I'm not ready to see slow hunts. :)

Al Hansen said:
Looks like that forecast you were talking about, Paul, sure came true. Looks like that termination dust will all melt tomorrow for you. Good luck with your hunts.
Al

Al, I wasn't expecting the ponds to freeze solid. Going to have to get out tomorrow to see what is left for birds. Glad I winterized the trailer when I did.

Some years ago, my cousin and I embarked on a two week plus, road trip, DIY waterfowl hunt to the interlake region of Manitoba. It was early October.

The Sunday that we arrived, the marsh we were going to hunt off Lake Winnipeg was covered with waterfowl, as was the sky. We smiled after such a long road trip.

That night a major north wind and snow storm hit. When we opened the motel room door predawn, the drift was half way up the door way. Not good.

Once we got there, the marsh and sky was devoid of all waterfowl, but two coots. We hunted anyway and did not talk much, nor fire a shot.

Long story short, thank goodness for Oak Hammock. To this day it was the worst waterfowl hunt in Canada I've ever had.

No matter where you go, you are always at the mercy of the weather and the birds. Yet we still go.

Back