Kara Hummer project advice

Charles Copeland

I picked up a new project today that may wind up being more of a project than I was hoping for. It has a few soft spots and by that I mean the entire hull has a little give to it. Fiberglass seems to be in decent shape however. It has a split on each end of the cockpit where I think the problems may have originated. I cut a small inspection hole to confirm my suspicion. I would like to try and save the boat and I wanted to bounce some ideas off of the experts of this page. Since the glass is in decent shape would it be feasible to cut it into large sections to remove and expose the frame, rebuild the frame and reaffix the sections to a new frame? Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated. View attachment IMG_4659.jpgView attachment IMG_4663.jpgView attachment IMG_4660.jpgView attachment IMG_4661.jpgView attachment IMG_4664.jpgView attachment IMG_4665.jpg

Charles,

The Kara Hummer is a very basic hull modern hull, by that I mean the hull has no historic value. Fairly inexpensive to build from scratch. Based on what I see in your photos, if it were me, I would build entirely new. You will have less labor in a new build than you will attempting to rebuild.

This link to a set of plans is only a sample of what is out there for this hull. There are many internet sources for further info and you may find a source for free plans.

Back