Keeping the dog in the boat

Gar is 100% correct, you don't teach anything with an e-collar!!! It is ONLY an enforcement tool for what the dog already CLEARLY understands, but refuses to obey. Your problem here is elementary at best at this stage. Just get a leash and strap her down TIGHT so she can't break. That is so simple I can hardly believe you didn't do it the very first time. It won't be long and she will understand she can't break until you give the command, and then bring back the tie down immediately for reinforcement if she breaks after having it removed. Don't even think about an electric collar at this point.

Phil - I understand water freaking. Our dog "digs" in her pool in an attempt to splash all the water out. Yes, she has her own pool, not spoiled a bit is she?
007_19A.JPG

What I want to have in the boat is a calm dog.
005_20.JPG

I truly believe that this is purely an obedience issue. I need to start over with basic obedience heel/sit/stay on the lead and then off the lead. My plan is to use the e-collar in the off lead phase, and then carry it to the field. She won't be going hunting for a while. Miss Daisy is not the first dog I have ever trained, but she is our first chessie. The other dogs were German Shorthairs.

I appreciate the advice of everyone else. Obviously the e-collar is a powerful tool, but I plan to use it judiciously. I am surprised at the strong emotions that my post ignited and I appreciate the candor of all who weighed in on this subject. That is what makes this site so cool!

No, I'm not in a training group. I am a new member of the KC Retriever Club and the folks there are very helpful, but the type of stuff they are working on is far beyond me. I need a basic reliable dog, not a field trial dog.

training for a basic realiable dog is training for a field trial dog... you just simply get through a little earlier. The basics needed for a competetion dog are the same as for a hunting dog, the training only devaites at the advanced levels. But hunting dogs, hunt test dogs, and field trial dogs all need the same basics. Where folks go wrong is their standards... if you train with the mindset ok is good nuff, its just a basic hunting dog, you've already made an excuse for substandard work and limited your dogs potetional. Train your basics like you plan to go all the way with your dog, and you'll be much happier with the results and it'll go much faster... its much faster to get it right, than to get it half way and be constantly going back and patching holes. travis

Water freaking is an obedience issue in itself-IMO.

FYI- Grizzly has an livestock rubbermade water tank... he kept putting holes in the swimming pools.

Retriever Training for the Duck Hunter by Robert Milner

Mr Milner breaks down the training into daily sessions. It can't get any easier than this.

I took my CBR through this course and he made huge improvements.

Chris

Rocky,

I totally agree with Travis, good retriever basics is the same regardless of the ultimate goal. Mike Lardy does a good job explaining this in his Total retriever Training series of videos. please don't be intimitated by what you see as advanced dog work with your local training group. My local training group has evolved over the years from just plain gun dog guys who just wanted a reliable retriever that could handle on simple blinds to all out field trial people and everything in between. I'm sure those guys would welcome you and would be very helpful to you and your young dog.

The last two years all of my fellow field trialers got out of the game but I happened to meet some new guys to our area with young dogs they wanted to train for basic hunting. It is easy to set up a test that can be modified for every level of dog from advanced all age to puppy marks. Then they can show you some drills to work on your own in your yard.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is using a pro trainer. I actually send all of my dogs of to a pro for what we call break out training. This is usually after the dog has finished teething around six months of age. I don't want to start another controversy, but the pro will force fetch the dog, tighten up his obedience, heeling, sitting, ect, teach to dog good water habits, and start him or her on basic handling drills. As Travis said these basics are the same for hunting, hunt test or field trial dogs. IMO this is money well spent, after 3-6 months your dog would be a very reliable hunting dog that you and your hunting buddies would enjoy hunting with.

http://www.northernflight.com/index.html

Rocky, this is where you need to be. You as a handler need some training to help this dog be all that it can be. Ceep a close ear to what Travis is telling you. He knows what he speaks of and has some sweet dogs. Spend some money on your trainignand your dog will be a true hunting companion.

thanks for the nice words bob.

BTW, I only pointed out the chessie thing to point out it wasnt a lab. Often times that point gets lost that im insulting the breed, but in reality im just trying to say its different... so i hope i didnt offend. travis

Butch has first class breeding and training program. (I am only slightly biased as I have a pup coming from him next year)

Back