Key ignition switch

Kevin Inskeep

I have a Merc 55 horse SeaPro tiller prob 15 years old. I want to change the key ignition to a push button ignition. Has anyone ever done this ? It seems easy..? I have broken 2 keys in the last year from tilting the motor up and there isnt enough room to tilt it all the way up without bending the key and it breaking off. That is a REAL B if any of you have ever been there done that. I have a couple buddies with push button ignition Yamaha on their trolling motors, 6 -8 - 10 horse. Those are what we in these parts call the kicker motor. Anyway I was in the local Boaters World chain store yesterday and saw that their are push button ignition swithes for sale on the shelf and it seems like uninstalling my key switch and reinstalling the push button switch is just out with the old in with the new type project..? Or am I in for a birdsnest is many wires and more than a 2 beer project in the driveway?? I also have considered building a key gaurd on the 90 degree angle of the key housing, extending out a piece of angle iron off of that so that the new extension would come into contact with the boat before the key would. But all in all I think a push button would be the better way to go.

Kevin, First thing is to get a wiring diagram. Then see what the key does, is it just on-off or is the key electric start? It is possible that you may be able to install a starter button and then rely on your deadman switch. Not real familiar w/ Yamaha but on some OMC motors it is very easy. I'd be happy to help you figure this one out. Get me the model # and/or year. I can find the year with the model #.

Ask the local Merc shop. Could be a six pack job? I'm installing a push start button on my 15 evenrude. Hard to find the button on dark, cold mornings.

Tom - Thank You VERY much for the offer ! Very nice of you. I do have a really really good Merc guy just outside of town and I knew / know I can take the project to him. I was just trying to save a few bucks by doing her myself at home. I will look tonight for the model #'s Tom . I have some sweet LED lights at the motor that I turn on at the launch in the mornings, they are switch on type at the light itself so getting things lit up and finding the button should not be a problem. I had the merc guy research moving the key which would have required buying a new key housing and the install. $400 !!! I told him I was just going to fab the key protector at work and go that route but the more I think about the button the more I want the button ! I bet I could even find a bad ass LED type lighted button !

If key is for the start then it should be a simple task, you just have to hook the start wire to one terminal and ground to the other

$400.00, I need to go back to work!! Let me know what the mod.# is and I will see what I can find out. Looks like I won't be going ANYWHERE tomorrow. Feel free to PM me if I miss your post.

Kevin,you may want to install a battery disconnect switch also. This would kill the power when the engine is not running the same as when the key is in the off position eliminating any draw on the system.

Thanks for the help guys.
To answer a few of you... yes !! I have a PERKO switch at the battery that I turn off every time I get her back on the trailer

Back