Kyle's 1st Turkey

mike braden

Kyle gets his first Turkey. I am once again, one proud Papa!!!

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/qq272/rottie325/kyleturkey_zps794ecbbb.jpg[/img]

Last edited:
The day started at 4:20am. Actually 3:30 for Kyle because that is when he said that he woke up and just stared at the clock waiting...waiting.
We were hunting South Jersey with my friend Ben. His friend had some private land that his father and cousin also owned adjoining land. He gave Ben all the info as to the roosting spots and where they usually were so it cut down on a lot of leg work for everyone.

We arrived 5:15 and as soon as we got out of the truck we heard them gobbling. They were where they were supposed to be. Ben said "Kyle, this is going to be over in 20 minutes". We walked to our spot and set up with Kyle 10 feet to my left and Ben 15 yards behind us to do the calling. There was a boss gobbler hammering away every 10-15 seconds. I mean just hammering away. I have seen many turkeys gobble and it almost looks like it may hurt. They put their whole body into it and to do it repeatedly must be quite tiresome. There were 6-8 different birds gobbling around us. I was totally stoked. Kyle was trying to keep still. Anyone that has turkey hunted knows that 5 minutes in the turkey woods feels like one hour.

Once it became legal time at 6:00, that big ol' boss gobbler shut up and a hen took him the opposite way. Oh well...but I figured that we would probably end up getting some action from the birds behind us. After what seemed like 2 hours (15 minutes), I heard a strange sound. Kyle turned to me and said "Was that Ben?" As soon as he said that, I saw the Turkey's head literally 5 feet from him. Trying not to bust the bird, I said in a deep low voice without moving my lips "don't move". Then I saw three more. Kyle literally had 4 Turkeys within 10 feet of him. I felt like this was all going to fall apart. But....I knew that Kyle had been practicing his gun mount and thanks to properly fitting his gun, he has been able to quickly mount his gun correctly. So, I said again in my deep low voice, "shoot the biggest one" Kyle snaps up his gun and drops the bird in his tracks. Game over 6:21am. What a proud moment for me. I started to do that funky dance that all Dad's do when their kids get a first in the woods. I am actually smiling as I type this because I am so grateful - for a son that loves my hobbies as much as I do - A wife that lets me pursue the things that make me happy - For friends that go out of their way to take time away from their work/family to spend time with mine. I am a blessed person....

Sunday Dinner. Man O' Man were these good...

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/qq272/rottie325/turkeykabobs_zps2b46c40d.jpg[/img]

Last edited:
We stopped by afterwards Jode. I knew that you get up early but I didn't think that you would be in the shop already. Kyle was looking forward to showing youthe bird. Glad to see the progress is moving right along.

Congrats Mike & Kyle!! Love the face in the pictures. Nothing sweeter than a youth with their first harvest

Mike-

Responding pretty late in the game. Congrats to Kyle and you on a successful hunt. I showed the photos of Kle to my son Tyler, there was an emphatic and resounding, "Niceeeeeee!". Please pass on a congrats to Kyle from Tyler as well.

We are looking forward to September, but now Tyler will definitely be asking about turkey hunting this fall and next spring.

Great job Kyle and Dad!!!

No birds for my boys this year. We had 2 mature toms at 15 yds gobbling their heads off. My youngest, Brock 5y.o., was on the trigger and wouldn't shoot. Said they weren't big enough! He was going to let them grow one more year. Well Dad ain't! We ate one and let the other grow. Tell Kyle this turkey stuff gets very addicting.....

Brian

Since Kyle turned 10 Valentine's Day, I told him that his first was going to be a turkey. He is definitely getting some of his friends hooked as well. Can't wait till next season. I guess that we will have to start traveling to turkey hunt like we do for the ducks

Chad,

If you are free on this Saturday, maybe take a trip to Ground Swipers Rod and Gun club on Lacey Road, Forked River. We are having a Delta youth day starting @ 9:00. Ol' Barney Guide Service donated a parent/child youth hunt for the coastal zone. It's just a $5 registration fee. Call me tomorrow if you are interested

Way to go Kyle!!!!!!!! and to you to Mike,great job! Thanks for sharing,its great to see father and son/daughter hunting together, Congrats again on a job well done! Brian

Great job Kyle!

Mike, I was cleaning up a SD card today and found this pic from a couple of years ago. Not sure if I sent it to you before or not.

Best! Ira

Great pic Ira. Can't wait to show Kyle. He is ready to head your way again this season. Maybe for Mallards instead of Teal.

Mike congrts to you and youre son Kyle .Thats gonna be a hunt you will never forget.Great job getting the youths into our great sport .They are the future .John

Back