Lake Champlain season

The Lake Champlain Zone (NY and VT) waterfowl season was posted today, and it's very similar to last year.

Ducks will open Wed., Oct 8 and close Sun., Oct. 12, then re-open Sat., Oct. 25 and run through Dec. 18. The youth hunt will be the weekend of Sept. 27-28. Goose season will be Sept. 2-25 and Oct. 10-Nov. 28.

The syllabus of Vermont's 2014 migratory bird hunting seasons can be downloaded at vtfishandwildlife.com.

Is there license reciprocation for the Lake Champlain Zone?

-I am very interested in exploring the area, and want to know if the marshes on the VT side of Champlain are allowed to be hunted with a NY license.

I see that VT requires a 'VT Duck Stamp' online, but I can't find information regarding NY licenses in VT....

Thanks in advance..

Martin, you will need both licenses, though the VT side is much cheaper! NY goes from $85 to $100 for me this year.... true I could now hunt more than small game, but for me it is just added expense.

Martin: A Vermont license is cheaper. Non-residents pay $50 for a small-game license, plus $7.50 for the state duck stamp. (No state stamp in NY, but as Dave noted NY did away with its small-game license this year and all non-residents must now pay $100 for a hunting license). The lion's share of the lake itself and by far the largest percentage of its shoreline is also in Vermont, including some of its premier marshes. But there is also some very good hunting on the NY side, and in my opinion it receives less hunting pressure. Either way, it's a great lake to hunt, even if even folks in MI, WI, MN, OH, etc., don't like us calling it a Great Lake...

...Oh... In my opinion, it is a VERY Great Lake! ;)

I think I'll explore the New York side only...
This will be my first trip to Champlain, and there is MORE than enough marsh for me to explore on the west side...

I'll save the eastern shore for next year.

Thanks again, for all the info.

Back