Lay-out Question

Jake

Hey guys....I'm very new to the whole layout boat thing. I hunt an area that has been overtaken with hunters do to social media etc. Its has become very difficult to hunt the shoreline. I thought maybe the ticket is a layout boat. Get me right into the rafted ducks. My question is 2 part.
1st...most of the ducks are mallards, teal, gadwall, widgeon. There are plenty of divers as well. From mid morning until about 4:00 the ducks raft on the middle of the lake. I was wondering if setting up in middle of lake for dabblers is productive? I know you guys set up for divers but wasn't sure about mallards etc. Would they come into decoys like they do on shoreline? It seems like a really dumb question but again im new to this idea:)
2nd...I duck hunt for a number of reasons but the main reason is to watch my lab work. What boat set up would you recommend for myself and sage my lab? I do have another boat I could tow the layout with or simply put layout on boat.
Thanks for any advice!!! Looking foreword to a possible new adventure. jake

Jake,

I love using my MoMarsh DP layout boat for puddlers and divers. If there is hunting pressure on the shore, you can bet on good shooting in the middle of the lake. Also, I keep my boat grassed so it looks like a muskrat hut or a clump of vegetation that is adrift in the lake. The birds never look twice.

With the DP, there is plenty of room to keep your dog behind your head when lying down. I keep my dog on a very short lead for extra safety so he doesn't break. Obedience training is a must. Unfortunately, a true layout boat would be too small for you and the dog.

Once you try layout gunning, you'll never want to go back! Good luck.

[inline LYspread.jpg]

View attachment LYspread.JPG

Great picture David!

You certainly can hunt puddlers with a layout. I guess to fully understand what you are looking at... how deep is the lake? If it is not wadable, youwill most certainly need a tender boat to get you and the decoys to your hunt. I hunt to hunt with my dog.... but I enjoy layout hunting too. Long lines, even with a dropper, are a concern to me....

The lake is about 30ft were I would set up. Another spot is about 15ft. Looks like great fun!!! Thank you for your help.

We decoy a few puddle ducks while targeting divers.
they are more prone to flare from a layout, probably because they are coming in higher and get a better look into the cockpit while circling.
I've talked to guys who use a giant goose shell designed for field huntng to cover the hunters and report great success.

In deep water we use long lines with droppers and have had dogs along but I would want a tender with eagle eyes watching in case the dog gets tangled.

I really think if you are going to hunt in depths like that, you need to hunt from a boat ( high bind, or low/low profile) or a layout with a solid tender crew...

Thanks for the advice guys. I know you all know what your talking about. Have to rethink it. You all stay safe out there. Good luck with season!! Jake

Jake, take a look at sculling boats-pretty active way to pursue rafted ducks. If you have hunting partners set-up on shore in the upwind section(s) of the lakeshore and a scull boat in action on the open water, life could be good for everyone involved in the hunt!

Back