LC Smith Long Range Questions

Just a quick update. I spoke to the gunsmith in GA and am taking the LC Smith and Super Fox to him next week to discuss restoration efforts I'd like done and get his advice. He comes highly recommended with many years of double gun restoration experience so I'm confident he is the guy for the job.

Eric

Very Nice gun Eric! I too love doubles and you have a very nice one now. I have a Field grd LC Smith ss 16 ga with 26 " barrels, choked imp cy and mod, made in the 1930 's and simply love it. They are very well-made shotguns.

Quick update. I met with Bill today who took measurements on the LC Smith barrels. At some point they were opened up to Improved Modified and Light Full. No idea why they were marked 710 and 715. He also measured the chamber and it was shorter than 3". He said that is fairly common from the factory due to tooling wearing down. He's going to take it to a full 3". He's also going to repair the stock and color case harden the frame to restore its appearance. When he completes the needed work I believe it will be quite presentable and field ready.

He's also doing work on my Super Fox. Luckily the chokes are as tight as the day they left the factory and the barrel and frame steel is very good. The guns fit has been tweaked and is headed for a duplicator along with a couple chunks of English walnut for a new stock and forend. Looking forward to getting both back.

Eric

Img_4726.jpg

Last edited:
Eric would you be willing to share the name of this gunsmith or contact information? I just inherited a Ithaca double barrel that has a loose stock and a poorly installed recoil pad I would like to have addressed. Or does anyone know a actual qualified gunsmith within reasonable driving distance in south Jersey?

Josh

Bill Schwarz (706-276-7668) is in Ellijay, GA. I suspect you can find a gunsmith within driving distance of Jersey so that you would not have to ship through a FFL. If not Bill can do the work.

Eric

Eric I hope you enjoy them. I still take my Uncle's L.C. Smith (192o era I believe) and Parker (1903 era) out hunting once a year. My Uncle had the chokes opened years ago and they were his daily shooters. The sentimental value exceeds the retail value to me. I shoot bismuth through them but I am not sure what my Uncle shot out of them. They work just fine in the field.

Josh-you can try and contact Hank Peters in Moorestown (The Way It Was Sporting Services). I haven't talked to him in a couple of years, but he and his brother have a very good reputation. If he is not doing any work now, he can help you find someone that does.

Really cool old gun Eric. It should be a lot of fun to shoot. I think I'd stick to mostly 2 3/4" loads just to keep from ever having any more stock issues.

Found these ads looking for info on the Fox and LC Smith. How about that 80 yard claim?

But this brings up questions in my mind. Do modern steel 3" or 3 1/2" high velocity loads in barrels made today have a downrange lethality that exceeds what was done 100 years ago? Or did back-boring, lengthened forcing cones, and long chokes honed to maximize lead pattern density create the ultimate long range gun that has not been surpassed or even duplicated?

Curious what folks have to say about this.

SuperFoxAd.jpg

Smith_Long_Range.jpg

I believe that there has always been marketing in the gun industry.
With fiber wads and lead there is probably some good that comes from all the barrel work. Now days a plastic wad can change pattern more than all that work. I've heard more than one gunsmith who can do forcing cone work say that they see very little change with modern ammo. Still some will swear it makes them a better shot...and if they believe that it likely will help them. I think it is mostly confidence in your equipment.

A lot of manufactures kept the chambers a little short because they wanted the rolled crimped case to open in the forcing cone with the idea that a better seal would result. I recently put some boss 3" through my Fox Wildfowl and winchester Model21. both Guns have 32 inch bbls an f/f chokes patterns were beautiful and tight at 40 yardsfox wildfowl (2).jpg

Back