Lead Melting Pot

CJ Tort

I am in the market for an inexpensive melting pot. I don't need a big one, just filling some keels to weight them. Any one have one that they have experience with and would recommend?

I've always used a camp stove and small (~4" diameter) cast iron pan. Works ok.
But if you are pouring often, a commercial pot may be better.

I like bottom pouring pots cause I'm lazy and I believe the bottom pour supplies a cleaner pour as well as greater head for filling molds. I had a Lyman 20-lb melting pot for about 20 years before it gave up the ghost. I'm presently using a Lee pot which is lower quality but works well for the little I use it now. Back when I was casting bullets, the higher quality of the Lyman was worth it. A quick check on Lee electric lead pot found these 10 lb pots - new ebay.

Scott

CJ,
Tha Hot Pot 2 is the one I use also and works well. If you are doing strap anchors, don't get the pot that has the pours out the bottom. Get the cheap HP2 as pictured. Heats fast and works well. dc

if you have a plumbing supply store nearby, go there and get a lead pot---i use mine with a propane setup for cooking crabs----always outdoors, always outdoors!!!

any thing cast iron will work i melt alot of fishing and decoy weights and they work just fine and if you have a problem getting lead i get lead from a local tire and oil change place which gives away used tire weights

I am in the market for an inexpensive melting pot. I don't need a big one, just filling some keels to weight them. Any one have one that they have experience with and would recommend?
If you are only doing a few then you may be better off with a propane torch and a lead pot lathle. Just put some lead in the lathle then heat the lead with the torch.
In a few minutes you will have enough for a few keel weights.

Heck I use a small stainless dog water dish on top of a coleman stove to melt lead in when making big weights for long lines.

Back