Lets do a wood duck box challenge

Mr. Taylor

Have you had the chance to see the ducklings jump down from the nest?

I have witnessed it twice, both times while I was trout fishing. The hen calls up to them, and off they go. Sometimes the ducklings bounce like small tennis balls .

The Wood Ducks hatched when the caddis flies hatched, on the rivers and streams. The ducklings would gorge on the caddis flies. Much like Pheasant chicks gorge on grasshoppers.

In years of low caddis hatches, the duckling survival appears to be much smaller.

Mother Nature keeps everything in tune, unless we mess it up.

It is good to see your old nest boxes still do their J-O-B.

Best regards
Vince

I keep a close eye on my boxes all Spring / Summer. I try to log how many eggs are laid as well as clean out and put new cedar bedding as quickly as I can after "jump day". Some of these boxes produce 3 broods per season. Duck hunting is not just an obsession of mine, it's life.

. View attachment July 13 Hatchlings.jpg

P Taylor

You sure do a great job, Thanks for sharing with us. I have found that boxes are use many times over and over . Sometimes more then one hen will drop her eggs in a box. Then the two hens will fight it out to see who will sit on them. Keep up the great work. We thank you! I know the wood ducks thank you.

Anthony,
Here is an update. About a week ago my daughter and I put on our waders and went out to inspect the boxes for eggshells left over from hatched wood ducks. We were surprised when a duck flew out of the box. I was able to snap a picture inside the box before we quickly departed to give the hen some privacy. I think we counted 14 eggs.
View attachment 609BE784-AC92-48E4-B748-D068DFDA2421.jpeg

Last edited:
Eric

Great job my friend, Glad you took your daughter with you. Its great when young people see what can be done with a little hard work. I hope next year you add a few more boxes. Thanks for the update. Great job and keep up the good work.

Back