Long Island waterfowl season

Sab Caponi

Guys/Gals

Like last year I anticipate being on the Long Island NY waterfowl advisory committee. What that means is we help to set the dates for future waterfowl seasons. That being said one of the ways we do that is to ask us hunters what we want as far as seasons ONLY. Not limits, or amounts of days etc. If you hunt or plan to hunt Long Island next year speak up now. You can post up here and I will tally the results or you can PM me if you'd like. I also posted this on a few other sites so if you go by so secret code name on another site please let me know so your vote doesn't count twice (this aint the florida presidental elections, oh I had to sorry) This is one time the DEC asks us regular hunters what we want, please help me to tell them....

I'll start off

I want the season to be as late as possible with no split for ducks
same for goose

thats what I'm looking for. Thanks

Sab

Jim

I agree with you and thats my reasoning as well and it's colder and snottier later in the season, plus to be totally self-centered....I deer hunt when the split season used to be so now I can do both.

This is also a gratuitous bump

Guys/Gals

Like last year I anticipate being on the Long Island NY waterfowl advisory committee. What that means is we help to set the dates for future waterfowl seasons. That being said one of the ways we do that is to ask us hunters what we want as far as seasons ONLY. Not limits, or amounts of days etc. If you hunt or plan to hunt Long Island next year speak up now. You can post up here and I will tally the results or you can PM me if you'd like. I also posted this on a few other sites so if you go by so secret code name on another site please let me know so your vote doesn't count twice (this aint the florida presidental elections, oh I had to sorry) This is one time the DEC asks us regular hunters what we want, please help me to tell them....

I'll start off

I want the season to be as late as possible with no split for ducks
same for goose

thats what I'm looking for. Thanks

Sab

Sab,

Given the study done on Long Island that indicate that black ducks are overly stressed by the late season hunting, and they are a species that is in decline, how does that fit into your wish to have the season as late as possible? Keep going to the end set by the Feds as NY has been?

Tod

due to longer seasons" just this week and I told him I knew of no studies that indicated that was a problem....can you point me to the one on Blacks in Long island?

And another question.....whats the Brant hunting look like there between Christmas and New Years?

Thanks,

Steve

between Christmas and the end of the first week of '09.....do the Curtain Blind and Stilt Blinds in Currituck, then Virginia, then NJ wit Tonielli....just wondering if we had the time if heading further North would be worth the time or if we should just spend more days further South....

BTW great picture of you on that disk....the one with the icy boat and the Brant sleds....loved that one.....

Thanks for the link.

Steve

Fun trip. NJ -> CT is 4 hours max. Looking in the book, some years I shoot them good that week, some years not so good. Keep me in mind and in the loop.

T

Steve,
The brant in NJ were great this season, as i am sure you have heard.
They are so fun to watch, pitching up and around, hundreds at a time.
I think the coast guard chopper pilots chase them around just for something to do....
gets 'em flying...

I don't hunt LI, so no input or knowledge of how the season compares to South Jersey. Different areas and hunting, i would imagine.

would love to do as many states as possible as it might be a good while before I get to devote anther two weeks to an East Coast trip......Black Ducks and Brant and I'm a happy camper....

Quane2, (whose Quane1 BTW?), Brant and Blacks are in my TOP THREE birds to hunt, (only Wigeon give me any cause to pause when I'm choosing), and Central NJ, in the Atlantic City area was the first place that I ever hunted them....that was back when I was still in College, (prior to '74), when the neat old Duck Shacks were still present out in the marsh, before tin boats and mud motors became common and when a writer named Zack Taylor and McClane, (who was a NJ Warden if memory serves), were still writing great stories about the Jersy Marshes.....

That first hunt was my first hunting trip north of S.C. so imagine a Southern Boys shock when I stood at the Barnegat Lighthouse and later on the shores of Two Egg Harbor looking at a landscape was far different than the wall to wall YANKEE, CARPET BAGGER, Amboise Duke N.J. cities that anyone from the South thinks abouut when they think of N.J.

I never got to stay in one of the Duck Shacks but I did get to shoot Brant and Blacks out of Barnegats on those marshes and fell in love with them....went back several times when right out of College and then had a big gap until I hunted with John Tonielli, as well as several other Site Members, in the Atlantic City area.....

Looking forward to seeing it again....

Steve

Ahh shucks Steve, Ya bring a tear to a Jersey boys eye..............if ya get a free day when your up my buddy has a duck shack thats one of the best............Satellite TV and all. Located on Jerseys "Other " coast

Last edited:
Tod

We do not set limits, or anything else. What happened last year was the DEC said the last day the season could be was Jan 27th. They told us we had 60 days. We backed up 60 days and that was the opener. Last year the input I got from all the places I polled said to do the season as late as allowed. If the DEC thinks a species is stressed or on the decline THEY limit the species. So if I read your post correct if the blacks are on the decline, and the DEC has the facts to support that, they will say "No black ducks period, or we're allowed a 15 day black duck season, when do you want it" or something like that. We only suggest WHEN the season is. I hope that clarifies things.

Sab

Steve

It's weird as hell here on the Island. On the north shore this year I couldn't buy a brant with a fist full of $20.00

On the south shore on the other hand it was no problem to get them any time out. Really weird but thats how it was, I cant explain it other than we have more open, bigger, water on the south shore???

Sab

Couple of the guys on Ocracoke and Hatteras said the Brant didn't show in any great numbers during the season. I may try for Brant up in Chincoteague next season.

I think the guys in NY and NJ should begin in Sept. and end in Dec. Bwaaahawhaw !

Steve,

I hunt the Tuckerton/Barnaget area for ducks and Brant. It would be great to meet in person and chase some birds. The brant hunting was GREAT right up to the end of the season. I repainted some herters geese to brant and had a good time with them this year. My son helped with the painting and went on many of the afternoon hunts. He's already addicted to the splashdown of a guuned bird, he loves to net them up for me from the boat.

Keep us posted on your trip. It would give me an excuse to burn a few days from work to do some "scouting". I certainly wouldn't SHOOT any birds I found when scouting for your hunt!

With a 2 brant and 1 black limit it won't hold a candle to the ammo burner you had with Hitch, unless you shoot like me!

Best wishes,
Gene Jr.

ps. So this isn't just a hijacked post... from a NJ standpoint, make the seaon as late as possible. It's impossible to know the weather but the few years ice up on the salt bays hit the last weekend of the season it was AWSOME gunning to end the year!

Back