Low blind ideas

Kevin T

Duck Killers:

Last year I hunted flooded fields in a Kara Hummer set up with a low blind...
View attachment P1010035.JPG

Once they were set up, they worked great. This pic shows the support system on a friend's boat...

View attachment P1010324.JPG

As you can see, it effectively conceals the hunter once set up...

View attachment P1010325.JPG

The problem is, when it's dark thirty and the ducks are a flyin', I was usually messing with my blind set up instead of getting a bead on them ducks! Does anyone have a SIMPLE, but effective idea for a low blind set up that would work on a Kara? Fast set up time and concealment are my prime concerns.

I was wondering if a ghillie blanket would work. Just throw it over the boat, lay back and enjoy the show...any other ideas out there? Post pics if you can. Thanks.

View attachment P1010035.JPG
View attachment P1010324.JPG
View attachment P1010325.JPG

I had the best luck with a snow cover, off a ground blind, just pulled over my boat. Late season geese just droped right in. The same basic concept as the camo blanket.

The blanket should be simple, low profile and effective. I might try attaching one side to the boat or make floppy doors out of the blanket, so that it would be easy and quick to pull in place.

Kevin,
When I was hunting from a KARA, I used that same set up, and it works great. I don't know if you'll be able to shave much time off set up and still have the comfort/concealment that that provides.

I've seen guys with a roll of cordgrass that they just lay flat on the boat in front of them across the cockpit opening and onto the bow of the boat, and then a few sheets of fastgrass bunched up around their torso. Pushed back into the corn, they pretty much disappear.

I changed to panels. I've got 4 panels that are each about 4' long and 1.5 ' tall that slip into holes along the sides of the cockpit. They are made out of metal conduit bent into a rectangle. I ziptie that green garden fencing to the conduit, and then fastgrass or cord grass onto the fencing. I end up with a bit higher profile, but with a dog, this allows me to create a decent hole behind me inside the boat where she can sit and still see out without being too visible to the ducks overhead.

Scott

Kevin.

I have a gillie blanket I use on occasion. That is one smelly outfit and though time it doesn't get any better and it's a heavy SOB when it gets wet which BTW makes it smell even worst. What I've been doing is attaching grass sheets to a 3' by 10' piece of plastic garden fence. I roll it up and secure it to the bow when underway. Once I'm set up I just roll it over me. I'll do the same thing when I get my new Fatboy here with one exception. I'm going to build a spray skirt on the bow to hide my face better and offer some protection from the rain.

Ed L.

Vinyl coated shelving and insulated metal wire clips to attach. You can grass it with whatever you want, I use raffia and a some local vegetation. Makes for some nice storage outside the boat too.

DH_No_7.jpg

DH_Brushed.jpg

DH%20no.%202%20flapper%20boards%20down.jpg

blind%202.jpg

Bradhttp://www.tollerboatworks.com/DH_No_7.jpg

Thanks, Brad. I've seen these pics over on the Gator site...your set up looks great. One thing to consider when using a KARA is the need to pole your way out to the hunting spot. If anything is hanging over the side it can interfere with the pole. I like the idea of using panels, but I'm going to have to figure out a way to set them up without hinges so they don't hang over the side.

Happy Hunting!

Kevin

What about cutting them down so that they don't quite span the width of the boat when folded in? You could use your grass to cover the remainder of the opening. Or you could simply use a board the width of the opening notched to accept the edge of the shelving so that it stands up much like the blind you have right now so that you could pole. Then just remove the board once you get to where you want to hunt and the "doors" are hinged.

Brad

You should check out Ed Askews site. He made simple wood and PVC pipe supports that attached to the coaming of the KARA. He then attached the cut down fast grass to the wood/PVC pipe supports. If you work at the layout you can get all the pieces to be stackable and just pop them down onto the coaming quite fast I would think.

http://www.geocities.com/edaskew/kara/karacamo.html

Back