Lund alaskan

My original idea was to build a aluminum frame and canvas for a light weight set up. Never thought about aluminum sheeting...that's a nice rig!

Nice looking rig Scott, I have a 17 ft aluminum boat that I was thinking about building a canvas blind for and painting the whole thing more of a grey/open water scheme but i really like what you did with your boat. Just out of curiosity how do the ducks react to it? I would be after mainly old squaw anchored in the middle of the bay...my only fear about painting the boat grey would be losing the ability to hide it if I wanted to hunt the bank

Thanks Colin!

The scoter are pretty much oblivious of the blind but I'm not sure they would react to any anchored boat if you sat still enough. I haven't shot oldsquaw out of her but that's mostly because I don't target them from boat blinds. I have shot them sculling but never targeted them from my boat blinds. I have had broadies roll into the decoys and shot them from the lund as well as buffies and GEs.

My goal with this design was flexibility. Sea ducking corresponds with Black fish season and many of our hunts were actually cast and blasts along with just plain fishing trips. So I designed the simple straight sided blind going only the length of the console back trying to minimize the size of the elephant, while leaving plenty of room for 3 guys (I rarely hunt more than 2). This leaves the bow wide open for anchoring and running decoys. With the fore and aft curtains down, fishing and boat handling is virtually unaffected. The blind material, call it canvas for simplicity, covers the full hull and inside light grey hull surface forward of the console. The boat could be bright red and the ducks would never know it.

Design details. It's made from recycled S.S. bimini bows and bimini hardware. The two sides lift off with 5 set screws each side and takes less than 10 minutes to install or remove. The canvas is usually installed at the ramp prep area before launching saving it from the wear and tear of 1 to 2 hour tows each way. The canvas is one piece, the center sewn up to fit over the bow. The canvas velcros to the foredeck area covering the inside of the hull. Pockets sewn into the top off the canvas slip over the frames on both sides and snap in place. The ends of the canvas wrap around the stern and draw lines pull tight and tie it in place. Total install time is roughly 5 minutes with two guys. The fore and aft curtains tie in place once she's on hook with the decoys out. Collapsed decoy barrels, tackle boxes and other gear is placed on the foredeck and covered with camo burlap as well as the outboard.

View attachment BLIND PROPOSAL.jpg

View attachment Frame.JPG

View attachment dayshaul.jpg

Scott

Back