March "What's on your Workbench?"

Got a little motivation to carve yesterday. First corker in a long, long time. HD cork, cedar head, drake redhead gunner.

P032412_2132.jpg

Not at all duck related but it's what pays the bills so I can do the duck related stuff. Hopefully I'll have the time to start carving one of these days.
I built two matching cupolas for the house I'm working on. Here is one installed. Waiting for roofing.

6869065192_8bf2f208bb_b.jpg

These are some decorative panels I made for a bar / restaurant by me. Stamped tin ceiling tiles and stained pine frames. There used to be curtains on a brass rail where the panels are now. The owner wanted a new look.

6869084018_c170a9e72d_b.jpg

6869081456_ab633c8be4_b.jpg

Luke, Looks nice. Good to see lots of work going on at the shore.

I like the partition Panels. I started working in my Dad's cabinet shop as soon as I was old enough not to kill myself on one of the machines.

I like what your doing, it all develops that ability with tools that make it so much easier once you start carving.

Hey Steve, they are actually ceiling tiles that I cut to size to fit where they were going. They make them in drop in or nail up. They make them for kitchen back splashes also. Styles and colors are almost endless when you start looking into them.

I too love the look of old copper or tin ceilings.My brother is a professional fireman/paramedic in Springfield OH. He recently told me that a growing number of communities are banning the use of these tins on ceilings in their fire/building codes because they hinder the process of finding and extinguishing fires between floors. John

i set the eyes in the black duck last night with Pete and started to rough out the body of the mallard. i had some time this morning and finished the black, its ready for spar. the mallrd is still getting its side pockets worked on but i notched out where the head will go and hot glued it in place

531853_3295224671186_1584926392_2616102_80576553_n.jpg

Nice work cfinch.

Jode, good lord that's a lot of oil paint! IF you're using those expensive oils, that turkey is worth at least $50.00

I couldn't let March go without posting a finished decoy. This is my Nathan Rowley Horner inspired, "smokey" mallard. Thanks John L. for all the help at Westlake with the glaze information. I finally have the look I've been looking for. It's my favorite decoy to date.

[inline nrh1.jpg]

[inline nrh2.jpg]

[inline nrh3.jpg]

My brand was made by Terry D (a member here) and it works great. I looks a lot better than what I sent him...so thanks Terry!

[inline nrh4.jpg]

View attachment NRH1.JPG
View attachment NRH2.JPG
View attachment NRH3.JPG
View attachment NRH4.JPG

Pair of blue winged teal. Hollow cedar and oils. Alot to learn about oils....but its where I want to go. Trading the pair for some yellow cedar....you can have enough cedar :)

CIMG5017.jpg

CIMG5018.jpg

Dave and Roy, your dekes look great. I like the "feel' of that Mallard Dave. Nice Job.

This has been a busy month for everyone.

The paint was still a bit tacky this early this morning when I took the pics. Last progress shots, before the final completion. Just need to add a few final details, and paint the stick and finish the bases. Also these suitcase will have a unique surprise inside. Jode

Hey Dave, nice job on the park duck. I tried replying (in my typical smart assed way) to your text, but think I sent it to Andrew instead...don't know how to get those stupid group texts to reply to the right person.

Chuck

Not going to get these done in March so I thought I would snap a picture today before I stated on the detail painting. I also wanted to get a picture of the rig from Westlake but that will have to wait for some nice weather when I feel like talking them outside and snapping a pic.

2012-03-29-Carving-01.jpg

Jode,

Are those wings just raised a little bit on the Barrows? Or is they painted to look that way? Hard to tell. I really like the lines of your birds

~Dave

Last edited:
Thanks Larry, looks like the final completed pic will have to be in the "April" workbench thread! LOL. I have to visit a friend tommorow, and Saturday is the Parkertown show.

Thanks Dave, Yes the primaries and speculum area is slightly releived. It does also have some shading to accentuate that detail.

Last edited:
Back