Mariner outboard

bvullo

Anybody familiar with Mariner outboards. I have a neighbor wanting to sell me a 1987, 9.9 with both electric and pull start capability. Short shaft for a couple hunderd bucks. He says it works great. I just don't know much about them, anyone familiar with problems or issues?

Thanks,

Bill

Same as a Merc and made by Yamaha. A couple hundred for one that works good is cheap. Take a compression reading, turn over till gauge quits rising(100 +lbs and no more than 5% or 10lbs difference between cylinders) and look at the plugs while doing it..make sure they aren't gunked up or steam cleaned(head gasket/water intrusion) Take the lower drain plug out of the lower unit and see if water is in it(milky nasty looking). Then take it for a spin. I've had a 15 and 25 Mariner, 90's models, and they were great motors.

Great deal for $200 if it runs & passes the inspection Lee outlined.
Electric start sure is handy on small motors, especially on cold mornings.

If it has the 4or6 ratcheting tilt position thing it is the best duck hunting motor out there. My 15 had that and was it ever nice!

Buddy of mine had 6 hp Mariner on a small jon boat, the shallow tilt on it seemed to have infinate adjustments! It was nice.

One I do regret selling was an 8 hp Mariner made by Yamaha- absolutly sweet motor just had no slot for it and an whole bunch more to take its' place. Sold like I was giving it away. Jump on it if it is solid!

Back