May, "What's on your Workbench?"

Thanks Todd! That's a good idea . I'll have to pitch that that to him.
DSC04267.jpg
Here the hoodie in the back ground I'm also working on.

Great Ruddy's Jode!

Just curious why so many carvers paint the drake so red or rusty colored? I've seen thousands of them on St. Clair and they are all brown (drakes and hens).

Not being critical, just curious.

Todd

Great Ruddy's Jode!

Just curious why so many carvers paint the drake so red or rusty colored? I've seen thousands of them on St. Clair and they are all brown (drakes and hens).

Not being critical, just curious.

Todd

that is there full plumage phase Ruddies dont come into there mating plummage until late February early March

Todd,
Back in the day when spring shooting was allowed some old ruddy decoys were painted in breeding colors. The fellow that these are for likes that tradition and it's how he wanted this pair made.

You also would only see the flip tail breeding display with spring colors.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Jode.

Do guys still use the spring phase gunners in the fall then, or are these just for decorative collecting?

Todd

Grant, They are looking great as always. Please slow down a bit. I usually don't get a sneak preview. HeHe I am still saving my pennies.

Gary March

John, awesome depth on the scapulars. I really like the rumps too. The flow vs chasing the details per feather is working for me. I really like it. I'd like to learn could we speak. I'll pm you.
Frank

Variety of stuff... Some paint work and begining to carve for my rig this year. Painted some Virgil Lashbrook style 1931 GWT, a Liverpool sprig, a full body specklebelly, and, restoring a pair of my great grandpa's mallards. These are from the historic Lockport Club on the upper Illinois River.

As far as carving goes, began carving my "Mud Lake Rig". Our duckclub is on Illinois River backwater at the south end of Clear Lake. Historically, this end of the lake is considered Mud Lake. Last year I started to build a rig of decoys from all vintage patterns. Last year, I began with Virgil Lashbrook 1931 GWT. This year, I am doing ringnecks from John Barnhart patterns. They are hollow white cedar with pine heads. They were hollowed with my great grandpa's scoop gouge. I put a Scripture verse in each hollow decoy. Today I started some whistlers also from a Virgil Lashbrook pattern. Enjoy...
View attachment PICT0037.JPG
View attachment PICT0036.JPG
View attachment PICT0034.JPG
View attachment PICT0035.JPG
View attachment PICT0038.JPG

Last edited:
one more great thread, with great birds by everyone!!!

here is a set of three I have been working on. worked on the pattern while sitting in a class at work, side pockets are drying might be able to paint the rest of the birds tonight. an odd pattern for the species, plan on selling all three or worse case scenario hunt over all three.

P1030418.jpg

I still have a long way to go. I just finished my second bird that I carved with Vince Gianetto. Much better than my first now that I am starting to feel a little more confortable with the tools but not too comfortable to post pics yet. I really wish that I had that kind of talent. Just awesome!!

Back