Meet my little friend

Darin Clark

I got a call about an injured owl today. Being the time of year and what the guy told me, I figured it was a jumper. It is very common for baby owls to bail out of the nest as they get bigger. This little screech owl was sitting in the guys back yard. I looked up in the tree beside him and mom was there watching. She will stick around and protect and feed him until he can fly. The home owner was ok with leaving him, so I just picked him up and put him on a branch. The owner said the neighbors have a cat, so better safe than sorry. If it had been a great horned owl, I would have left him on the ground, mom would of had the cat for dinner.

Sorry about the picture quality, all I had was my cellphone. I really need to keep a good camera in the truck.

I'm going to stop back tomorrow to check on him and will take the good camera. I hope they're both still there.

IMG_1653_zpsfznc1nkf.jpg
[/URL]

A few years ago when I delivered the morning paper before school I happened upon a baby owl just like that one.
Walked over to check it out, mistake, felt like someone hit me in the back of my head with a rock. Turned around and no one was there. The second time it hit me, I saw her fly away.
Hurt enough I can still remember it, a few years latter....

nice Darin

if it sticks around the homeowner may regret saving it some sleepless night

screech doesn't begin to cover that noise

I really liked this picture, Darin. Your story sparked a childhood memory. Back in the late 40s my father went over to our neighbors home in Cannon Falls, Minnesota and did the very same thing. They are sure cute little buggers.
Al

Back