Missing Three Quarts of Oil

kenmack

I went to the neighborhood grocery and on the way back I noticed the oil gauge swinging widely especially when turning. Back home, I checked the oil and saw none on the dipstick. I added one, then two quarts to get a show on the dip stick and then another quart to get it above the add line. With no oil on the parking spot, no oil smoke apparent in the exhaust and none on the engine with the fill cap present, where did my oil go? I never had an issue with low oil between changes. Jeep Grand Cherokee, 1995, in line 6.

When was the last time you checked your oil in terms of miles and months? I had a 96 GC Jeep and the gauge did the same from time to time for no apparent reason over the course of the last 10 years I owned it but I always kept on top of fluids.

Well, upon closer inspection, the back of the block below the head gasket, but not above it, is oily. That is probably why it doesn't drip when parked and likely it cooks off while driving. Also, now that it has been mentioned, the coolant is slowly going somewhere too. I smell a major repair bill coming soon. I just added another quart to get it between the add and fill line. I'm not sure where the three quarts got it to other than good enough for then, but I'll drive it to work Mon. and Tues and check the oil to see how fast I'm losing it. The jeep is a POS but we need it to work for right now.

sounds like you found your culprit...but I have had the oil change place forget a few quarts once...was not happy bout that.

Take off the oil fill cap and look on the inside. If it is filled with goo, you have a bad head gasket and the oil and coolanat are mixing. Nothing you don't know here already. Dpending upon the vehicle, it may not be that bad of a fix.

Mark W

I have a 2000 xj and a little oil comes out of the valve cover gasket. Head gasket is a bigger deal but jeeps arent too hard to work on and parts are cheap especially if u buy used. Good luck they are great vehicles.
I wish i could find one of the diesels with a 5 speed it would be the ultimate duck rig

Back