MN trailer (under 3,000 lb GVRW) license registration question

The driver side seems like a good idea since the license plate is on that side. Thinking about how my wife views things. She would tell me it's when your facing the boat from the bow would be the "right side".

Be thankful your not in Illinois. We can't go to the local DMV for watercraft or snowmobile registrations. It's all done out of Springfield, IL. It takes months to get a title and registrations depending on time of the year. The fastest way to register a boat here is buy it in November, December and January before the winter boat sales. It only takes 100 days. I bought a glass over wood scull boat last year (as some may remember). They would not register it because it was homemade in Iowa in the early 70's and the hull id did not match current numbering scheme. I had to literally send them a history about scull boat hunting and pictures of the boat before the state would register the boat and the Iowa registration was current. I finally got my Illinois registration and title that I sent to the IL DNR in August in February. You can't even give this broke ass state money without a hassle!

RLLigman said:
Why not simply ask law enforcement personnel, what they will enforce?

Ha, then I am guaranteed different answers.

Only reason I asked was because the lady at the counter said to make sure I put it on the correct side of the trailer. When asked which side that is she it depends but is in the regulations. I found out the rgulations are very vague. NOt a surprise to me actually. I'm just going to put it on the drive side as it makes the most sense. Maybe I should mount it on a magnet that I can switch sides should I get questioned.

Mark

Back