Modified Kara Build

Yeah, what kind of motor, how big, how fast does it push the boat. Anything you would do differently?

Mark W

looks like a subaru/robin engine?, that boat looks freakishly like the one i built this summer, the best thing about a wide transom is that you can pole the boat from the rear deck with ease,and it increases the load capabilities. i get about 10 mph with a 6.5honda/beavertail on mine with the 116lb chesapeake in it.id love to hear how this one performs with a mud buddy.

The motor is a 6.5 hp mudbuddy. It's a subaru engine and I think it does about 10 mph. That is plenty fast enough. It really suprised me the first time out. I followed my dad in his gator trax with a 31hp MB. At every shallow spot where he had to work to get through, I just zipped over.

The kara design is great and very easy to build. I reported in my first post that this was my first build. In fact, it really is the first thing I have ever built with my own hands.

I used 1x4's and 2x4's that were left from a construction site. The transom is 3 pieces of 3/4 ply laminated together. I got the ply from a friend. I used screws and nails that I scrouged from neighbors and friends. I used gorilla glue and some kind of silicone sealant that someone gave my. The only things that I bought were 1x1's for the grass rails and luan for the hull and deck. I did pay a friend ,that owns a boat building factory, to lay the glass. I couldn't tell you what kind of glass. One other thing was that I coated the inside with Thompsons water seal. I sealed the cockpit completely.

I don't know how long it will last, but I sure enjoyed building it and i'm planning my next one already.

Now that I have some experience, I feel like I can justify spending some money and doing a better job.

Jay,

Nice project...where did you get your KARA plan? Looks fun to build.

(and no paper mache comments from the peanut gallery)

i like the story about your dads mudmotor, "you cant defeat physics" a 150 pound boat+70 pound motor is going to draft alot less water than a #600 pound boat and #275 pound motor,in alot of examples, your kara will draft less water dead still ,than most of these mudmotor type boats will on full plain, loaded.i see alot of pics of these loaded $10,000 mudboats at idle and they are drafting atleast 8 inches, that wont get you into alot of the holes we duckhunters like to get into.or it will get you in ...but not back out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jay,

Nice project...where did you get your KARA plan? Looks fun to build.

(and no paper mache comments from the peanut gallery)

I ordered the plans from the guy in Mo. If you go to the commercial builders link on this site, and look for Kara, it will bring you to the site. It was a great experience, building this boat. I can't wait to start another.

Hi Jay:
Looks good, what kind of wood have you used as the main frame
Good Luck
Ron

I used scrap pine that I scrouged. 1x6's and 2x6's. I made a typo in another post there were no 1x4's or 2x4's.

Last edited:
i like the story about your dads mudmotor, "you cant defeat physics" a 150 pound boat+70 pound motor is going to draft alot less water than a #600 pound boat and #275 pound motor,in alot of examples, your kara will draft less water dead still ,than most of these mudmotor type boats will on full plain, loaded.i see alot of pics of these loaded $10,000 mudboats at idle and they are drafting atleast 8 inches, that wont get you into alot of the holes we duckhunters like to get into.or it will get you in ...but not back out.

I have had two big boats and I like this one much better. The satisfaction received from building your own is worth the effort.

Back