More Facebook Marketplace Loonies

I had a guy drive 2 hours to look at an airboat I had for sale. We took a ride and he loved it. He said he wanted to buy it so while he dug out a huge wad of $100 bills I disconnected the trailer, jacked it up off the ball and swung it over to his hitch.He said "Oh man! I'm $300 short". I swung the trailer back over to my truck and locked it on. He asked what I was doing. I told him he was not getting an airboat that day. He asked me to wait a minute and lo and behold he found 3 $100 bills laying in the bottom of his glove box. I would have quickly taken $300 less if he asked but not when they play that game.

I do a lot of gun shows. I hate the one's that make offers that are insulting and hang around talking. Then as you are closing up, want to talk. Too busy to stop and do a back ground check now...

Eric,
I had many such encounters as these. Unfortunately, I just deleted a lot of the pics of the conversations. They were quite comical.

When they give me low offers, I respond with a price that is higher than my asking price. One guy was like I thought your price was $$. I?m like so did I. He then said ?interesting sales tactic. So is low balling. I?m amazed that people give ?hard offers? for something that they haven?t seen in person.

I just sold that canoe for asking price. I had some low ball mr at $400. One guy never showed, another at 1000 but only showed with 800. Finally sold to someone who offered asking price, came with asking price, and we exchanged favorite canoe spots on upstate NY and VT for 20 min. Only a few hours wasted kicking tires.

I just bought a new push lawn mower last weekend. I still have the old one and it still runs/cuts, but its tired. The deck is in bad shape, the handle has been repaired, etc. My plan is to put in on Facebook for FREE. I'm looking forward (maybe?) to what comes with that.

Jeff Jacobs said:
I just bought a new push lawn mower last weekend. I still have the old one and it still runs/cuts, but its tired. The deck is in bad shape, the handle has been repaired, etc. My plan is to put in on Facebook for FREE. I'm looking forward (maybe?) to what comes with that.

That should be interesting. I had a bed I wanted to get rid of so I put it on Craigslist for free. Several weeks and no takers. I then listed it for $20 and it was gone within a day.

Jeff Jacobs said:

No need for "social media" around here to get rid of stuff for free (except electronics).

Put it by the road, and it's gone.

Jeff Jacobs said:

Even more interesting if you say "with operator in similar state of disrepair" [angelic] I'll be watching for it on facebook. I'll be the guy asking for delivery and a demo mow (front, back and side) before accepting the mower.

Come to think of it, at that point in time I decline acceptance. In in another week you still have the mower, I should give you a second chance.

Last edited:
J. Overland said:
Jeff Jacobs said:

That should be interesting. I had a bed I wanted to get rid of so I put it on Craigslist for free. Several weeks and no takers. I then listed it for $20 and it was gone within a day.

That's one of those things that makes you shake your head and not try to figure out....

Vince Pagliaroli said:
Jeff Jacobs said:

No need for "social media" around here to get rid of stuff for free (except electronics).

I would do that Vince but I live towards the end of a dead end street, hence not much traffic.

Huntindave McCann said:
Jeff Jacobs said:

Even more interesting if you say "with operator in similar state of disrepair" [angelic] I'll be watching for it on facebook. I'll be the guy asking for delivery and a demo mow (front, back and side) before accepting the mower.

Come to think of it, at that point in time I decline acceptance. In in another week you still have the mower, I should give you a second chance.

I may just drop it off in your front yard late some night. [;)]

Jeff Jacobs said:
Huntindave McCann said:
Jeff Jacobs said:

I may just drop it off in your front yard late some night. [;)]

Late,,,,,,,,,,,,, That would be anytime after 7:00PM. [w00t]

Jeff Jacobs said:
Vince Pagliaroli said:
Jeff Jacobs said:

I would do that Vince but I live towards the end of a dead end street, hence not much traffic.

I hear ya Jeff, but that does not stop folks up here.

Every morning and evening folks with pickups cruise all the roads, streets, alleys, etc. lookin' for stuff.

What really amazes me is I'll go places where there are few to no homes, paved roads, cell service, etc., out "in the sticks".

They put stuff by the road. I'll go by days later and it's gone.

Problem is ya really don't wanna be following one of the "gleaners", cuz good chance for a flat tire.

VP

Yes, same here, too. We have bulk trash on Monday, but there is at least 1 truck that runs the neighborhood Sunday afternoon that will take about anything metal or with any potential residual value.

LOL. I usually goof around with people like that by raising the price 20$ per reply until they either agree on something reasonable or go away....

Back