more flexible glass? mat vs. cloth

Andy Grant

Which will bend easier around a corner? I need to glass the chine(?) around my layout and would like to use whichever will be easier. The bow and stern around rounded which compounds the curvature as well.

Cloth, you may have to make relief cuts to make the cloth lay flat on the the bends.

Are you using epoxy or polyester resin? The reason I ask is you brought up using mat.

Last edited:
cut the mat tothe size you needand wet it out with polyester on a piece of plywood and place it onto your chine, it will bend any way you want it to. If your concerned about strength. That is the way the spray rails are held onto the bow of the Windy. Foam, Mat and polyester, nothing more. Day before yesterday we came home in a 30kt Northwest head sea and they're still up there.

Last edited:
I like to rip off little pieces of mat for corners. Wet them out good with a chip brush and apply as many as you need for thickness. Dont cut the pieces- rip them so that you have a feathered edge.

For what its worth, I dont wet the mat prior to applying. Paint the surface then stick the mat to it so that it does not have a crease in it. Just be sure not to go too big with the piece. Also, sometimes it works best just to layer the feathered edges into the corner. If it does not want to lay flat with no bubble or raised area, remove it and try again with a new piece or placement.

Use your brush to make it work.

Harder to explain than show!

Back