motor doesn't pee

Dave B

Have a 1970 60 hp evinrude with electronic shift. No water is coming out the pee hole. Took it apart to replace the impeller. Old impeller looks fine. Motor peed water fine until a few weeks ago when it was accidentally run for about 30 secs without a water hook up. I had assumed the impeller got ruined. What else should I check? Please give as much details or places to go for reference as possible as a mechanic I'm not.

Thanks in advance guys.

baumy

Dave,

Did you feel the impeller or just look at it? They can take a set after awhile and get hard and then won't pump. I replace mine every three years whether it needs it or not. You could also try running a wire up the pee tube, sometimes spiders or mud daubers get in there and block the tube. I would suspect the impeller first though since you said it was run without water. Good luck.

Chris

Dave,
First pull the hose off where it goes through the cowl to check the fitting, doesn't take much to plug there. Did the motor get hot? If the impeller was wet it can take a bit of starvation, if it gets dry the arms come off RIGHT NOW.. You could try blowing air backwards through the pee hole (overboard water indicator:^). Gotta get to work now, will keep you in mind and be back later. Good Luck.

What Tom and Chris said. When was the last time you changed the impeller? Does water spray out of the exaust relief ports? If it does the indicator tub is probably plugged.I'd change that impeller anyway, you don't want it coming apart and plugging up the water passages...pain in the ass then!

You may not be supplying enough water.Is it with a hose hookup or summerged in a tub?Make sure it is deep enough,even deeper than you think the shaft should need to be.
You could remove the plate from the thermostat housing to see if/when water is pumping to that point.Should only take a couple seconds.If not shut it down.

Thanks Guys !

Here is the info asked for .

The water does come out the exhaust ports by the propeller hub but not out the pee hole using a set of muffs and hose. It did before the accidental 30 sec dry run. It is actually the guy that bought the motor from me that is now having the problem but I am trying to help him out and I know the great advice this site offers. The motor head does get hot.

Don't know the last time the impeller had been changed. I bought the boat two years ago for my dad but then he got sick and gave up fishing so he never used it .

Will pass on your fixes and see what he comes back with.

thanks to all !!

If the powerhead gets too hot to hold your hand on for a couple seconds...it's too hot. If it has seals on the impeller housing, they may have been ruined taking it apart to look at the impeller. Note to all...if you take a lower unit off to "look" at the impeller...have a new one in hand to replace it. Taking off and putting on a lower unit without replacing a 15.00 crucial part....well to quote Pete on Oh Brother "That don't make no sense".

Before changing any parts out, I'd give the pee hole a shot of air from a small compressor. Has worked for me numerous times.

Bill

Like Joe said, submerge the motor to the depth that it sits to on the boat...they aren't self priming.

Put a little piece of wire up the pee hole and ream it out. A little piece of gradeux can get up there and block it easy. We don't leave the dock without a little wire just for that purpose.

Ed.

Back