Movie Review (not even close to duck related)

Steve Steffy

My wife and I just went to see The Revenant last night. I know we're all duck hunters here, but there's a lot of guys that enjoy history too. If any of you liked the movie Jeremiah Johnson or The Mountain Men then you're going to love this movie. The videography was outstanding and acting was top notch. It made you feel like you were sitting around the campfire right along with the rest of the mountain men.

My biggest complaint...Colter does not die in the way suggested at the beginning of the movie. I used to read a lot about the old Mountain Men and the fur trade era. Anyway, Colter actually goes on to live many more years after escaping the Blackfoot Indians. He actually ended up getting married and moving to Missouri. Nobody knows for sure how he died, but jaundice is one of most common beliefs.

Other than that...it was a really good movie. I'm sure there were some other parts of the movie that weren't quite fact. But it is just a movie, not a documentary. Dying of jaundice just doesn't make for a good movie I guess.

Steve

Lol. Jaundice certainly won't lead to an academy award will it?

Thanks for the review. It is rare that a movie catches you just right to make you want to share it.

The last one for me was the Secret Life of Walter Mitty.

Because we are all daydreamers.

It was a really good movie; great acting, lighting, cinematography, etc. While there were some continuity errors (two shots from a single shot pistol, frizzens open, etc), it is still well worth the time. I don't know a whole lot about any of the characters and even had to look on IMDb as to the person you were talking about. Compared to the one other Oscar "buzz" movie I've seen (The Big Short.....there's two hours of my life I'll never get back), The Revenant would be my hands down favorite.

Debby said that after she saw the trailers that she'd have to wear her Sorrels and carry hand warmers if she went to see it cause just three minutes of it made her shiver.......watching the trailers I'm positive that if most of us had to live in those conditions with that equipment we'd be dead long before the Bear attacked....would make for a short movie......

I get the feeling watching the movie will be exhausting.....doesn't appear to be a "warm" part in it......plus not being a DeCaprio fan I think I'll wait till it comes to the small screen so I can have a nice warm adult beverage and my fuzzy slippers to keep me warm...

Steve

I recommend reading the book prior to seeing the movie. I haven't seen the movie yet but it apparently is based on Hugh Glass's life if the book I read is correct. It stated that he and two others were ultimately killed by Indians several years later. At least my understanding. Awesome book.

I get the feeling watching the movie will be exhausting.....doesn't appear to be a "warm" part in it......plus not being a DeCaprio fan I think I'll wait till it comes to the small screen so I can have a nice warm adult beverage and my fuzzy slippers to keep me warm...

Pretty much my plans for this movie...well that's my plan for most every movie but especially this one.

From what I have heard 'based on a true story' is being used very loosely here. From the previews if that country is suppose to depict western SD they have failed miserably. From what I have read from experts on this that beyond it being 1823 and a guy named Hugh Glass being attacked by a bear both the book and movie are all made up. And made up by someone who knows little about the times mountain men lived in.

I really hate when Hollywood does this. Make it all up and use different names if you don't want to deal with the real facts. It doesn't make it bad entertainment but it doesn't add anything to our knowledge. Yes, I know this is nothing new. I'm just glad that they got it right with Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter.

Tim

Much of the movie was filmed in this area and needless to say has been the talk of the town for the last year. It has been generally well received here and the large scale hiring of local natives has generated a lot of respect. Some of the filming was done on a local reserve.

Last edited:
The wife and I went to see it the other night. Fortunately, I didn't know the story. Although Hollywood did take some artistic license with hypothermia and repeating muzzle loaders, I took it at face value and was thoroughly entertained.

We both felt cold during the entire movie. I think we even huddled for warmth a couple of times. The bear attack was so violent and realistic that it made us both wince and twitch. The scenery was stark, yet beautiful.

Glad I saw it on the real big screen. I don't know if I would have appreciated it as much, even on a big home screen.

Last edited:
Back