NDR Catfish bait

I'm getting into jug fishing and I know that you guys have some sure fire, can't fail catfish baits. Commercial baits are too expensive and it's too time consuming to get enough bait fish to do cut bait. Submitter of the best bait idea (as determined by the catfish) is welcome to come to a fish fry in Bham. Thanks in advance, Steve

Steve,

I haven't jug fished in years but today was a good day for good old night crawlers! Sorry not much help.

Take care,

Ed L.

cat_1.JPG

I've successfully used chicken livers, hot dog pieces, and even bread. However I caught catfish on bread using a rod and reel, with 30 lb. test. Not sure how jugging would be different- i know that there's some stinky stuff at wal-mart people say works...

Stink bait rules!
take some panty hose and cut them up into squares squirt some stinkbait into the center, then bring the corners together and wrap with thread to make a little package of goo, then put it on the hook.
100_1412.jpg

I'm getting into jug fishing and I know that you guys have some sure fire, can't fail catfish baits. Commercial baits are too expensive and it's too time consuming to get enough bait fish to do cut bait. Submitter of the best bait idea (as determined by the catfish) is welcome to come to a fish fry in Bham. Thanks in advance, Steve
Steve,
Growing up we used Pork rind. It was tough to get on or off the hook. It was cheap and because of the fat on it it kept the smell of meat for some time. It was easy because all we had to do was cut it and put it on the hook. It also was not quite as offensive an odor as was stink bait. We did well with worms and hot dogs too but they did not last as long on the hook as the pork rind. We used both the raw rind and the smoked depending on what we could get our hands on.

For channels...hands down the best bait is chicken livers. You have to keep them cold and they don't last that long but it's worth the headache. I think using panty hose and spawn bag netting would help them hold together for jug fishing.

Spoken by a guy that was raised on the Wabash and Tippecanoe rivers in Indiana-catfish were king in my youth.

I had some really cool catfish pictures on file but alas...they must've been replaced with steelhead pictures.

take a burlap bag throw in a brick or two and a couple of scoops of old dog food( you can get the dog food a wal-mart really cheap, ask them if they have any damaged bags and that its for catfish) a few days before you set jugs . The catfish will beat the daylights outa the bag, they can taste and smell it but can't really damage the bag to get to the feed. It will help concentrate the fish .
for actuall bait ,go with the chicken livers !
if your jugging at night, throw one of those small light sticks in the jug. Kinda fun to watch the soft light blink and run when you get a bite !!
save me a plate !

If you have any kitty cats that you need to git rid of...that works good too!

Just kiddin'!

Hey Rhett....I want that shack man...that's sweet! Are there bunks in there? Potbelly?

Back