NDR - Fishing Question

Fred

If a man who fishes is a fisherman. Why are fisherman or fishermen called anglers? Somebody asked me yesterday and I have no answer. Hoping so of the anglers might know.

Tight Lines ... Fred

If a man who fishes is a fisherman. Why are fisherman or fishermen called anglers? Somebody asked me yesterday and I have no answer. Hoping so of the anglers might know.

Tight Lines ... Fred

If I understand your question correctly here is my answer:

The origin of the word "angler" relates to the angles formed by the rod and line and the bend or angle of the fish hook...hence "angler"

A fisherman is an angler (singular)
Fishermen are anglers (plural)

Singular or plural

Last edited:
Would it be and I think it is,is that a Fisherman= one who makes an income/living-from fishing
Angler=one who fishes for sport/fun.
Make Sense??
It does to me

Many of the famous early english fishermen were scientist and mathematicians. They would go into long diatribes about casting. Often they used diagrams and sophisticated equations to describe their technique. So when the ordinary people saw this they thought they were only talking about the angles they were using so they named them Anglers. Simple.

Or it might have to do with the old english word for hook....drum roll please...... "Angle"!

Tim

A fish hook is an "angle". Hence anglers are those who fish using hooks, as opposed to those who use nets or traps.

Fred It just might be. Fishermen are called anglers because they are evasive not necessarily truth tellers. Ask one where he caught those fish... He will think of a good angle to put you off..... The answer just might be lost in the fog of history..

Back