NDR-I Need a Truck

Before I launch into this....yes, I know how big a box I'm opening here, and that Pandora is squatting comfortably in the bottom of it. However, rather than beat my head against the wall reading the opinions of any more Keyboard Cowboys and the grossly over-sold stats of the manufacturers, i thought it might be worth asking for input from a group I have much more respect for...which is you guys (and gals....sorry Dani).

So I'm buying a truck this year, finally retiring my old Silverado with 180K on it. I need a crew cab and standard bed, and its going to be a 40-mile-per-day commuter, so reasonable MPGs is required. However, I need it to haul my duck boat (not a problem), the Grady that we may or may not be buying this year (figure 8K lbs hanging off the back), regular large loads of green firewood, and a crew of very large guys going cross-country from the east coast to Colorado for a fall elk hunt......probably towing 5-6K lbs through the mountains. It'll be a worker, just not every day, and certainly nothing over 10K lbs.

I would prefer to over-size for my needs (because i always like to have more rather than less), but that either means a diesel or a gasser with really lousy mpgs. I love the idea of a Duramax with an Allison tranny, but the sticker climbs quickly with that. I'm generally not a Ford guy, but I'm also not a brand-loyal guy either, so I'm looking at the Ford F150 with Ecoboost and max trailering package. I am officially in the "Paralysis by Analysis" stage, so I'm hoping that some informed opinions may help me start forward again.

So if you're interested in helping me with this decision, then let the games begin.....

Thanks,
Frank

P.S. Worst duck season in the last 7 years...but I ain't givin' up. Can't wait till next year.

I've got a 2013 Ram with the 5.7 HEMI and love it. Rides great and pulls the 21' StarCraft, layout boat and 8 dozen handmade decoys no problem.
If I was looking for a new one today I'd look at the Ram with the new V6 diesel.
Just my 2 cents.

Yep, F-150 with the Eco-boost.
If I could, that is what I would be driving right now, instead of the Honda Pilot I was forced into by other considerations......

I would say buy a Chevy or GMX 2500HD with a Duramax and a Alli. I have two of these and really like them. Yes the sticker is higher but so is the resale. I paid an extra $3200 when I bough my 03 for the Dmax and Alli. Now the average trade is $4200 more with the Dmax and Alli. Most I have spoken with that have a similar gas truck get about 12 mpg, my Duramax gets 19 to 20 summer and 18 winter.

I would suggest looking used. I bough my 07 as it came back off lease. it was 3 years old and had 27k miles, but I picked it up for $25K+ less than original list and I think $15 to 20K less than what the likely purchase price would have been. I have owned it for 4 plus years and the trade value is only $9k less than my purchase and it retails for $4k less now than what I paid.

With the internet today you can search the entire country for the truck with exactly what you want, color, options you name it.

I know 2 commercial boat haulers with the Ram 2500 with the %.7 hemi. Both are very happy with them, the performance aand the mileage is pretty good at around 16-17 while working loads.

I am not a brand guy... had to say that first.

I have a 2014 F150 XTR Ecoboost with Max Trailer. It is the extended cab with a 6.5' box. I haul up to 6000 lbs (travel trailer) in the Rockies on the weekends. I have 11K on it now. No issues at all and can pass most other trucks towing uphill without racing the engine. I feel very confident it wouldn't hesitate with 8,000 lbs.

In my honest opinion I have no idea where the Eco comes into the name. Tons of torque, tons of power, nice handling. Eco must not stand for economy as I haven't experienced that. :)

I converted my fuel economy to US gallons for this. Fuel consumption on mixed city driving is about 17mpg. Pure highway is in the very low 20s so long as you drive less than 60 mph. 55 is ideal. The best I have managed on an extended drive is about 23 mpg. You pay dearly as you speed up. Towing gets expensive. 10 mpg is expected and it only goes down from there. I can't comment on a light boat... I just don't have enough miles doing this.

It is a great tow vehicle and it constantly surprises me. I enjoy it and am generally happy I bought it. Just don't expect great fuel economy.

Some smaller details... I travel a lot and drive a lot of rental vehicles. Ford has the worst Bluetooth "Sync" system there is. It is annoying to use and a pain to set up. Everybody does it better. I don't like the layout of the buttons on the steering wheel. I live in Alberta and wear gloves about 10 months a year... ok about 7 months a year. You have to take your gloves off to use them. Even with gloves off I constantly cancel the speed control when I reach for set if I don't look. The button for answering or placing a phone call on Bluetooth is stuffed between others I don't use. Again, everybody else does it better.

I really like the transmission. The gearing is ideal for the power range of the engine. It never feels like it is working hard and the engine doesn't race. I love the way it holds it's speed on hills when in tow mode. I don't have to be on the brakes all the time.

fcbdfccb6600e452a2dd877568e2806b_zps827bef37.jpg

My fiance's dad is a ford guy, my friends are dodge (cummins) boys, i am a jeep guy( dont have a big tow load because im always paying to fix my jeep lol)

But if i was going to get a tow rig (hopefully soon to get a big tender) i would get a 03-04 ford 6.0 with a blown head gasket/motor and put a 12vavle cummins(ppump) in it. You will probably get 20+ with an auto, better with a stick. 20-25k to build here and the truck will be a world beater. There is hardly any electrical so you can fix almost anything with a wrench and a screw driver.

I hate new vehicles so i cant help you there.

Good luck, vehicles are an essential money pit so you might as well have a little fun.

If you don't want to go FULL ON diesel.... (If you do...get a Cummins)... if you don't... go for the 1500 Ram with the diesel...

I work in the car business. I am also a Ford guy. All trucks are well made right now so don't narrow anything by brand. My co-worker is driving an EcoBoost F-150 and he loves it. We took it upstate to deer camp and it rode great, plenty of power and pretty decent on gas. I have had great luck with my Ford trucks. That being said GMC and Chevy are making some really nice stuff. Tundra comes at a premium price but holds value very well (all trucks except the Titan are actually crazy high right now). From what you described I would look at one of the new trucks offering a small diesel like Dodge in the 1500. Other companies will have the same offering soon except Ford because they are sticking with the Turbo setup in the ecoboost offering. My .02.

No half ton is going to do what you want it to do for as long as you plan to own it(180,000 on old truck) . You get what you pay for, GMC 3500

3rd gen cummins 06-07 stick with the 5.9. Add a little program called efi live and your gold during the summer I average 25 mpg on the highway as long as you keep your foot out of it. Tow my boats and a 15k loaded gooseneck occasionally

Thanks guys...i really appreciate all the input. Also about what i figured: lots of good experiences and varying opinions. I think i'm going to have to continue to chew on this for a while...luckily, i don't need to do anything until early fall/late summer, but I'm ready to jump if the right opportunity presents itself. I'm also dealing with the emotional attachment to what has been a great truck. The body is rotting out on my Silverado, i dump a quart of oil in every month or so, most of the power stuff has stopped working, and it's in the shop at least quarterly for brake lines, bearings, u-joints, etc.....but the damn thing keeps running...and running smooth and tight. I love that old truck.

I didn't even know about that 3L ram diesel....that's pretty cool. I'm just a little concerned about it being under-powered, and the price point for that truck could put me into a pretty clean used Duramax. (I'm starting to sound like a brand guy, aren't I?)

I have a 2015 Chevy 2500HD with the Duramax diesel. A good friend has a 2015 F250 Diesel.. Both trucks are loaded with options. I will say that both trucks are awesome.

For my chevy I am getting about 20 MPG on the highway (if I drive like a human being...) and really like the options inside the truck, well thought out.

Reading about your long trips and towing needs, I do not think you could go wrong with either of these vehicles.

Good luck with your decision

Jim O

If you plan on towing more than 5000 lbs on more that just flat ground get a 3/4 ton truck. Your transmission will thank you. 1/2 ton just don't have the cooling or transmission needed for towing. All 3 build quality product with ford and chevy being a little better when it comes to brakes and interior and overall build quality. But dodge is generally cheaper. I own a diesel and yes I get better mileage than gas but after $20 fuel filters, $100 oil changes, 40 cents more a gallon the gas vs diesel is a wash. Unless you are towing most of the time then there will be some saving with diesel. Maintenance on a diesel will get you 2 batteries, fuel filter every 10,000 miles and tires wear a little faster as the front ends are heavier. I like my diesel but if Ford was still using the 460 in the early Super duties I would have been gas as happy with a gas motor. Just my .02

Crew cab with a standard bed, by standard bed do you mean 8 foot? At work we have a Chevy 2500 crew cab with a 8 foot bed and that baby is long. Need two parking spaces to park it. A 6.5 foot bed with a crew cab F150 has a 139" wheel base and is easier getting around town.

I just purchased a 2014 F150 with a 5.0L v8, crew cab with a 5.5 foot box, it is a nice riding truck with plenty of power. Towing is around 7500 lbs with the rear end that came with the truck. The new 2015 Fords are an all aluminium body so the price is about $3,000+ over the 2014. Don't know if you are looking at new or used but if you get a new 2014 you can save some money.

Where is the love on here for Toyota?

As a 2006 Toyota Tacoma quad cab driver, don't get one. A Tundra will meet your minimum needs, but their beds are too short to be used for camping out or hauling anthing more than $50 worth of groceries. Then there is the famous Toyota reliability...it vanished 15 or so years ago in their truck line. Toyota is still riding those coatails long after they have been ground into dust.

Ray, my brother has the Tundra. Overall, he likes it, but there have been some maintanance issues (mainly brakes) and there is no cab/bed configuation that meets my needs. The biggest problem is that I'm 6'6", and the driver set-up in that truck just isn't comfortable for me.

In answer to the previous question...6.5' bed. That is what they're calling standard around here, but i had to be educated on that. I always thought that 8' was standard.

A word about payload and towing capacity. All trucks have a rated capacities. They are upper limits!!!!! I generally cut capacities in half as comfortable loads. Sure my Duramax will tow 15,000, but you need to be thinking well ahead when it comes to cornering and stopping. On the other hand it tows 8,000 with no issues at all, powers up hill and holds speed down hill with no issues and I would not hesitate to run any road or any distance with that load. I have towed 14,000 but you can feel differences in handling and I would not want to make a habit of it. The same principles hold with payload.

From your needs any half ton is out.

As said above maintenance costs are different for a diesel. I do my own and figure 100 every 10,000 miles for synthetic oil, and premium filters(oil, fuel and trans). Gas oil changes will be less but I could never get as many miles between changes with the gas. Batteries seem to be a wash, as the gas chevy's all come with two batteries around hear.
Cold tends to be a bigger factor with the diesels, so if you live in a cold area plan on plugging in your truck. I have started my more than once at 25 below without plugging it in but I plug in when available below 10. Add in a $50 power timer if you live in a cold area.

I change the oil in my 2004.5 cummins every 7k miles... I get 50-60k miles on my tires... I have a Arctic Fox 990 slide in camper that I have been to Jasper and back, as well as MT and back many times in... Gas trucks may be catching up in milage when driving empty, but their fuel economy will drop dramatically when you load them down...

Even with higher prices, the diesel is more economical than the gas... BUT... I have figured it to take 100,000 miles to break even. If you are one that trades frequently, a diesel is not theright answer.... If you are going to make that truck part of your family for 10 or 20 years... it will pay off.

Last edited:
I'm loving my Nissan Frontier, but it's too small for your needs. Not great on gas.

I hear good things about the Titans from two friends who have them.

My Frontier has literally needed nothing but oil changes, scheduled maintenance, and tires in 70,000 miles of mixed local and highway driving, with what is probably a lot more time off-road on logging roads and worse than most truck owners. At the time I bought it, Nissan prices were a little lower than Toyota, at least in the Frontier/Tacoma comparison I was making.

Back