NDR Truck topper question

Jake

Good morning, Looks like im getting a topper for my f150 4 door 2013 truck for Christmas. Trick is I have to pick it. I could really use any advice from you guys who either have one or who have thought about it. Lots of choices out there (accessories etc.). I will have topper on when going on trips either (hunting fishing family) or during the winter time. Thanks for any advice and good luck on the rest of the season! Jake

I have a Century topper... They are owned by the same company that owns Lear. I have had Lear. They are no better in my opinion. The slam latches are nice, but if you don't bolt the topper to the bed rail, the back will spread eventually and then will not latch. The twist latches make th emost since... Also ... from my experience, do not get the fold down front window... I bet you never fold it down and clean it....

I have never had one, but have always wanted the camper tailgait. Not sure what they are called, but you take the tail gait off and the entire back can open, or just open a single door. Most of the time, I am only putting the dog in the back...

Jake-

I have had several toppers on my trucks but would want to know a little more about your expectations and intended use for the topper. I have had aluminum and fiberglass, cab height and taller, regular tailgate and the barn doors that Phil refers to. Each has it's place.

Mine were Leer and ARE.

Tell us a little more on what you want the topper to do.

Chad A

I love my topper. It stays on year round. I have it set up inside with a bed and table so I can camp in it on solo trips. The bed and table are not fastened down ride down the road just fine. I can slip them out in 5 minutes if I need the entire truck bed for hauling something.

Unlike Phil, I have had a camper style door as he described it and I personally did not care for it. The two things I disliked were;
(A) the inability to haul something long on the spur of the moment. With a standard lift hatch style, one can always just leave the hatch up or drop the tailgate and you are good to haul something big or long. The camper door is more restrictive for this maneuver.

(B) When I camp I can prop the rear window/hatch open a bit for ventilation and still keep out the rain. Again the other style door is not as handy for this.

Also, I just remembered, besides removing the tailgate, you have to remove the latching hardware on the sides where the tail gate latches. (this is with the camper style door) So it becomes more of a chore to swap out than if you only had to remove the tailgate itself.

I also like to have a front slider window in the topper as well as the side sliding windows. I can open the front slider and crack the side sliders open a bit for ventilation and the rain will not enter thru the front slider. This keeps the topper cooler in the summer for both me and the dog.

I also have had a few toppers, and the most useful feature I have found is the combination flip up windows, that also slide open with screens when down. This allows access to the truck bed from the sides. Really nice! ARE brand.

Miller

Great thoughts. I use the topper for camping trips or during the winter to haul gear for duck-hunts. I usually get a cheap hotel and lock it up. The side window flip ups are a great idea. When I camp its usually tent camping or Im pulling the pop up. The topper is mainly used again to protect gear etc. My lab usually rides inside the pickup:). Spoiled I know. For trips to family its used for hauling suitcases etc.

I have an aluminum one right now I use from an older model ford so it doesn't fit right and according to my family is "HIDEOUS" Looking for something that functions well for my outdoor endeavors and makes the family happy:)

Im also concerned about gas mileage decrease with heavy fiberglass toppers? Any thoughts?

Jake.... Fiberglass toppers are not very heavy.. my wife an I can lift it...(8')... 4 guys can put it on.... But either way, if 300# topper effects your fuel economy .. you need a different truck!

Seriously.... That is like putting Paul W in the box... and your fuel drops... I mean... I am not a Ford man... but I think they are better than that.. Cheby... maybe not... but...

Last edited:
I have a Leer 100XL on my 6.5 ft F150 box. Love the single twist handle to open, the snap latches, and the crank out windows with screens. I also have the headliner which helps keep the inside cooler in hot weather. (Free option when I bought it and I have Black paint). I also like the look of the window style better than the rubber gasket type. Just my preference and I paid for it. ;)

fcbdfccb6600e452a2dd877568e2806b_zps827bef37.jpg

In your case fiberglass sounds good. I really like the flip up windows along the sides. It makes for reaching stuff along the sides or front of the bed very easy. Especially if you are packing camping gear.

The last two caps/toppers for me have been aluminum with built in tool boxes along one side in one and both sides in the other. Very practical for my purposes. The one with tool boxes down the driver side had a flip up window panel down the passenger side. That allowed me to reach in and open dog kennels that were stored sideways in the bed. It also had barn doors (2 doors) in the rear without the tailgate. I agree with Dave, it made it a little harder to haul long things, but in my case the doors were 4, wide so I would still carry full sheets of plywood in my truck and if I needed a 10' or longer piece of lumber I could leave one door closed and strap the other door against the material sticking out of the bed.

The fiberglass toppers are really nice and I would definitely opt for a light package and headliner package in mine. I have a light package in my current topper and it is really nice being able to see inside the bed at night without a flashlight.

The front sliding window would be completely determined if I had a sliding window in my truck.

Have fun picking one out and choosing the options.

Chad A

ARE is about 10 miles south of my shop. They make a good product and also custom match the color of your truck. I think fiberglass looks better then aluminum. Aluminums advantage is they weigh less. Good luck.
Tom.

Thank you for all the input. Ill start shopping them tomorrow after my river duck hunt. Love Christmas break:) Thanks! Jake

In our area Leer and ARE are the top quality brands with good dealer networks. ARE's premium caps seem to be the best out there from what I've seen with hardware that is the nicest and best built. I haven't ever bought one, but I looked at them well. I owned several Leer caps, and their top quality caps are not near as nice as the AREs, but their second tier caps seem to be a better value, so that is what I've always bought.

Leer seems to have better color matching than ARE. I've seen many horrible color matches on AREs over the years, especially their metallic and silver/gray caps. My last Leer will probably be my last Leer because I did not love the color match with my brand new truck and the local dealer was unsympathetic and I called and emailed Leer headquarters several times, couldn't get anyone, left messages and never got a call back. So, I'll be looking elsewhere for sure next time. The match isn't that bad, but it is bad enough to bother me, especially given the cost.

If the model you decide on doesn't come with a carpeted inside, order it as an extra, it doesn't cost much extra and is nice.
Frameless windows look awesome (rear and sides), but ask your dealer if they see many broken and ask how much they are to replace vs framed. :). I've always went with models with old style framed windows. Also notice your truck door windows are framed.
Wiring for lights used to be a big deal and nice, but with LED topper lights that run on AAs - they are bright and last a long time, running 12V isn't needed.

Last edited:
This is my first cap and I will never go back to being "cap-less". It's an ARE commercial cap with saddle boxes and ladder rack. They don't look as slimline and fitting as the fiberglass caps, but are extremely useful. I use the ladder racks quite often and the toolboxes provide a ton of extra storage without losing that much space inside the bed. I love this style cap and would highly recommend it.

Mine is two tone because I was able to get a great deal on it used. And I figured it's a shade of grey so it doesn't look that bad. My wife, on the other hand, thinks it's hideous. To each his own I suppose.

Last edited:
Another fan of the commercial topper. Two tone gray due to bought it used but it served me well in seeing 10,000's of miles of bumpy gravel roads (and no roads as well). Use it for hunting, camping, hunt test. Has interior lights and 12v connectors. Have since added a false floor for storage underneath and plan on removing small box on passenger side to give more bed space. Lockable and very secure.

View attachment Picture or Video 275abb.jpg
View attachment IMG_0258abbb.jpg

Last edited:
Update...went down to Ford to look and possibly order an ARE. The salesman would not sell me one simply because I wanted the side windows that open all the way so I could have easy access. He told me he had to return 2 because they were poorly made. The hydraulics on the window were not strong enough for windows. he recommended I use LEER if I want the side windows. LEER look really nice too.
Have you heard of the problem with ARE??

Good looking caps guys. My wife will not be a fan:) She hates my aluminum topper I have right now. Granted...it doesn't fit right but it is functional.

Update...went down to Ford to look and possibly order an ARE. The salesman would not sell me one simply because I wanted the side windows that open all the way so I could have easy access. He told me he had to return 2 because they were poorly made. The hydraulics on the window were not strong enough for windows. he recommended I use LEER if I want the side windows. LEER look really nice too.
Have you heard of the problem with ARE??
My truck is a 2005, and the ARE cap was bought then, so maybe quality has changed...but this is my second ARE, both were/are 10 years old...both have the full length side lifting windows, and I have had no issues with the lifts. Changed the trunk lifts on my wife's car 2X in 6 years, but the cap is fine. The side windows are not 100% watertight, but I don't care enough about it to mess with the gaskets or tensions... just some drips, not much. I did see a finish difference between the 1996 ARE, and the 2005, the 1996 was better, but I am still happy with the 2005. As Tod suggested, I would not bother with the interior 12V lighting on the next cap... as that failed years ago, and I have used LEDs since.

Back