Need help/opinions from those familiar with black ducks

Will M

I know the black duck/mallard hybrid conversation has been discussed at length several times on this forum but I?ve come across something unique, well at least I?ve never encountered it and none of my gunning friends have seen it. This mature drake black duck had none of the typical characteristics of a hybrid like green on the rump (the picture appears to show some but I couldn?t see any when in hand) or head, white line before the speculum or red in the chest. It did, however, have two partially curled tail feathers. What do you guys think, just a rare occurrence or hybrid somewhere down the line and that?s the characteristic that got passed on?

View attachment 0076189E-B458-4458-B97A-05595BB94F81.jpeg

roy brewington said:
Dormant mallard genes, A.K.A hybrid but don,t think I,d argue that one with the game warden!

Definitely wasn?t going to argue this one. My rule is there has to be 2 obvious signs of hybridization before I will call it a mallard or hybrid for my bag limit

interesting

but now that we Atlantic flyway hunters are limited to two blacks and TWO mallards -

with them on par, i wonder if the distinction should be as critical as it was back when you could only have one black and four mallards - there was more of an incentive then to consider a hybrid what you needed to fill out

it would be nice if they would put out a list of characteristics - white band, curl or what ever that could be used to settle the matter consistently

being at the mercy of a warden having a bad day is disturbing

Rick -

I agree, but in my experience some state wildlife officers are not keenly knowledgeable about waterfowl.

Especially if they are pulled from other areas with few waterfowlers, so they can help out during the waterfowl season.

Some will even admit it and ask for help. The respect goes both ways, and those are the guys that leave a very good impression

A federal warden is a entire different story.

Some kind of guideline would be very helpful, but with the decline of waterfowlers nation wide may not be a priority.

blacks don't have them, but mallards don't look like black ducks, either. It is quite apparent the what you have there is a DUCK-neither black nor mallard. Still counts in your total bag!

Rick L said:
interesting

but now that we Atlantic flyway hunters are limited to two blacks and TWO mallards -

with them on par, i wonder if the distinction should be as critical as it was back when you could only have one black and four mallards - there was more of an incentive then to consider a hybrid what you needed to fill out

it would be nice if they would put out a list of characteristics - white band, curl or what ever that could be used to settle the matter consistently

being at the mercy of a warden having a bad day is disturbing

Rick I am quite fortunate to have two of the most waterfowl savvy conservations officers in NJ personal cell numbers and both have given me the same answer and told me if I ever come across a CO that differs to give them a call and they would set them straight. Their interpretation and basically what the NJDFW has said to them is, since it is neither a mallard or a black duck it doesn?t count toward either limit. Rather it is considered ?other duck? meaning you theoretically could shoot 6 hybrids in one day and be fine. I personally have more conservative views and count it towards either or. So I can in my personal rule only shoot 1 mallard and 2 black ducks or 1 black duck and 2 mallards in addition to that hybrid. Also as I stated earlier I require 2 distinct markings before I?ll consider it a hybrid. This one got counted as a black duck and only killed one more that day and passed on other opportunities. From continuing this conversation with others my personal thoughts are this is a black duck through and through with a freak gene mutation of some sort

Connecticut has said, I think this year, it goes on your black duck limit, not mallard, not generic duck.

Back