Need Kara Boat Repair Help

Fred

Hunted the Owens Dry lake on Tuesday. Saw one flock of 50 to 75 buffleheads. It was a blue bird day and I had a decoy float out of the spread about 75 yards out. Of course the buffies flocked right to the single drake mallard. It was cool to watch though. First four birds flew in and landed. Then six landed with the others. Then eight land in the group. Then nine landed. Then the bulk of the flock landed. It was neat to watch them work in. Saw nothing else and called it a morning.

Getting out of the water I dropped the Kara on a rock and punched a hole in the bottom of the boat. Cleaned it up today. Looks like a small fracture of the plywood. Can I just put thickened epoxy in the hole and cover with fiberglass? Or do I need to put a piece of plywood in the hole?

Sorry no pictures at this time. Can get one if it helps, but will need to figure out how to post it.

Tight Lines ... Fred

without a picture I will say that if it is under an inch or so, masking tape one side and fill with thickened epoxy. then cloth both sides with a patch about 6 inches round. sand the edges of the cloth fair after.

If bigger patch with ply same way.

Check your chines carefully for stress cracks from the smack down.

It is a little bigger then a quarter. So I think I will do the masking tape and see if that works.

Thanks

Tight Lines ... Fred

Poke around the hole to see how far the plywood delaminated and cut or sand that part back.

I'd put a piece of 1/4" plywood on the inside and glass on the outside. Cut the plywood 3-4" beyond the hole on each side.

Rick

Back