Need some advice.....

Erik Mion

Hey everyone, I have not been on the site in over a year so firstly let me say I hope you are all doing well. Next I have a question for all of you. This year I plan on doing most of my hunting in some open water. I currently have a sneakbox and am wondering if there's any way I can make it suitable for open water hunting. For example should I still grass it and make it look like a little island floating in the bay? Or should I just paint it grey and hunker down inside? I've attached a picture so you guys can see what I'm working with. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Erik
View attachment photo-5.JPG

We hunt open water with 14-16' boats for divers & puddlers (mostly gadwalls, some teal, smattering of widgeon & pintails). Works well for us until the gadwalls get real "stale". Divers don't appear to mind much if they want to be where you are set up.
We use a boat blind, mine is military netting, others use cerex, burlap or "fastgrass". When we get to our spot, we stick cane (either bamboo or phragmites) in around the boat to break up the outline even more and to hold the boat in place. We are normally in 1'-3' of water.
With your boat, I would just cover it with fastgrass mats and hunt it layout style. Make sure to have a cockpit cover of some sort too. It should work great for divers and well for un-pressured puddlers, just be still until you take the shot.
Here is my boat in use:

[inline BoatBlindonWater3.jpg ]

[inline BoatBlindonWater.jpg ]

[inline BoatBlindonWater2.jpg ]

[inline BoatBlindonWater4.jpg ]

View attachment BoatBlindonWater3.jpg
View attachment BoatBlindonWater.jpg
View attachment BoatBlindonWater4.jpg
View attachment BoatBlindonWater2.jpg

Hey everyone, I have not been on the site in over a year so firstly let me say I hope you are all doing well. Next I have a question for all of you. This year I plan on doing most of my hunting in some open water. I currently have a sneakbox and am wondering if there's any way I can make it suitable for open water hunting. For example should I still grass it and make it look like a little island floating in the bay? Or should I just paint it grey and hunker down inside? I've attached a picture so you guys can see what I'm working with. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Erik

You have to try it. Grassed may work in your area.

Back