New blind in progress

Shawn Linn

I have removed the perfectly good blind from my commercially available boat and started the pipework for the new blind. Note this blind will not be commercially available all are welcome to copy any parts of the concept they wish for personal use.
View attachment frontflip.jpg
View attachment backnb.jpg

As you can see not a complete concept still need to build the front "spray shield"ish blind and close in the splash deck area. I have stiffened the back with two more drops and a center support

This blind will stay on all the time, but can be removed and store in the off season.

Please feel free to give any advise or ideas you have even if I am too pigheaded to listen.

I like the ideas of the flip doors in the front. Not like the blinds on the TDB's were you have to stand and shoot. 14ft Classic blind comes up at an angle and narrows to much at the top. The duck boss is nice with those flip doors on the 13fter. That 15 looks awesome.

You can shoot at puddle ducks out of the original blind from a seated position, but not divers. the flip down front was an add on suggested by my friend who is going to do the canvas work. Now that I have it on I really like the concept. really light and easy to use.

Anyway to remove it for picking up decoys? Looks like a comfortable functional blind but it looks like it might be difficult to pickup large amounts of decoys with it on there

Better get that copper painted before it gets stolen for scrap!!
Lowlifes around here are stealing copper out of houses!!!!
Looks good, John

Will, with the front flips down you can easily reach the waterline, and there is a little more width than the original blind even with the small "roof" section. There will be plenty of space to pull long lines over the side.

And yes the copper is going to get a coat of dura-coat as soon as the temp goes back up so that i can spray it outside. A little closer to the street and the scrappers would have scooped it up already. good thing copper prices have gone down.

Will the canvas come off for transport? it seems to me it would be ripped to shreds traveling any distance with it at highway speeds.

Shawn, any reason why you went with copper piping over EMT conduit? I would think EMT would be cheaper and stronger?

D, no the canvas will stay attached and there will be a cover that closes the two sides together. Not sure of the name of the material, will get back with that later, but it is the same stuff dump truck tarps are made of and is very resistant to wind sheer tears...we will see.

Will; there are not enough fittings associated with Emt pipe to get the design I was looking for. I have used copper before and even though it is more expensive i have been happy with the results. If something gets damaged it is easy to replace from the local hardware store. The front spray shield is going to be made from emt as it is just simple bends.

Shawn,

Looks great.

Are you able to flip the front of the blind from side to side or do you always shoot out of the starboard side?

Where we hunt, we never know if we will shoot out of the port or starboard until we get set up. Too many variables with wind, tide, etc.

I always shoot out of starboard side. The blind us semi permanent. Even with other blind I have always shot out if gnus side. Going to start sewing tomorrow with try and post some pics

Maybe this has been discussed and I missed it, but by reading about the material to be used (canvas, or equivalent.....600 Denier???) and the style of the back framing, my concern would be that it would have the ability to "catch" wind and offer the chance to capsize. Three gentlemen had a permanent blind mounted to a jon boat 3 years ago when it caught a strong wind on the Potomac and the back framing doomed the craft. One man survived the icy water and currents that day. The boat was overloaded and the conditions were perfect, but I offer this information for something to think about. Possibly going with a material that will allow wind to pass thru would solve this problem and my concerns.

Dave

Dave, I am not really concerned about the frame catching enough wind to roll this boat. the blind is not much taller than the old blind, yes different configuration, but similar sail ability with no ill effects. I will however be doing some off season testing, as always, to try to pin down any potential issues. I would not consider material that would let the wind through as that to me is half the point of a boat blind, to stay out of the weather.

Back