New computer blues.

Yukon Mike

I got me a fancy new laptop and I haven't figured out how to post pictures yet. But I wanted to check in and let you guys know I'm still alive.

I've been spending a few evenings looking for a spring black bear and Monday night I saw a boar walk into the bush on the side of the road and thought, what the heck, maybe I can catch up to him. I grabbed my bow and caught up to him right away. He was looking right at me and the bush was thick enough I wouldn't have gotten a shot even if he did turn so I kinda head faked/ran at him a bit and he jumped up into a pine tree. When I got a clear look at him, he was smaller than I thought, but decided to take the shot anyways. The arrow went into his heart and in a few seconds THUMP and he was dead on the ground. it was my first bear with a bow.

I looked him over and was surprised to see it was in fact a sow, I was sure it was a boar I had seen, but went back to the truck to get my backup helper and a tobaggan to put her in.

As we walked back in we were both quite surprised to see a bigger bear standing over her, and I was thinking "What the... ?"

He/it ran off but circled as we got a quick picture, loaded her up, and made for the truck. It was a bit sporty there for a bit.

After piecing together what me and my buddy each saw, it was in fact the boar I went after, but ran into a sow he was tending first, not thinking there were two bears together but of course its that time.

He said as I walked out the first time the boar was seconds ahead of me, but turned back in at the edge.

I felt quite disappointed with myself for harvesting a sow, I try to be really selective, but have never run into that set up before.

We got her all skinned and cut up yesterday, ground most of the meat and its in the freezer. If someone wants to try to post the picture for me I can email it to ya.

Mike

Thanks Paul. About a 5' bear, 120 lbs on the hoof I figure. Good shape, a bit rubbed on the sides.

Congrats on the bear, Mike. For this spring, how long do you think the bears have been out and about? I noticed you talking about it being rubbed on both flanks.
Al

Couple of weeks I think Al. Things have just started to green up, especially along the highways, so lots of critter sightings daily.

The meat looks excellent but I haven't had a chance to cook any up yet. 25 lbs went to a deli to get made into landjeager, some helpers took the back straps and one hind, I have the ribs.

Thanks Dave. Getting them dead is the easy part. I may not be able to change my own socks some days, but I am better at sneaking up on stuff than ever.

I had a young fella along to drag it out for me, and him and another friend skinned and deboned it, what a treat. Its like golfing with a caddy!

Hey you know your repair on my woodshed is still holding it together? That was really nice of you.

Mike

Hey you know your repair on my woodshed is still holding it together?

Well,,,,,,,, that's a good thing because, even tho my labor rates are cheap, I charge mileage if I have to make a 2nd trip. :>) :>)

Back